Generalization of an asymptotic model for constant-rate aerosol reactors
- 31 Downloads
An asymptotic model was previously developed to predictbehaviors of constant-rate aerosol reactors operating with particles in the free-molecular or continuum limits. This model considered the limiting cases of having either condensation or nucleation dominate during a nucleation burst that occurs from steady addition of condensable monomer. In the present article, this model is generalized to allow condensation and nucleation to both be important during a nucleation burst. Criteria are derived to predict the relative magnitudes of nucleation and condensation, and scaling relations are presented for particle number densities, particle sizes, and onset times and durations of nucleation bursts. Comparison of the asymptotic results with numerical integration of the governing equations is favorable both qualitatively and quantitatively.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S.K. Friedlander, The behavior of constant-rate aerosol reactors. Aerosol Sci. Technol. 1 (1982) 3–13.Google Scholar
- 2.B.D. Shaw and J. Lawman, Analysis of constant-rate aerosol reactors. Aerosol Sci. Technol. 20 (1994) 363–374.Google Scholar
- 3.S.K. Friedlander, Dynamics of aerosol formation by chemical reaction. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 404 (1983) 354–364.Google Scholar
- 4.S.E. Pratsinis, T.T. Kodas, M.P. Dudukovic and S.K. Friedlander, Aerosol reactor design: effect of reactor type and process parameters on product aerosol characteristics. Ind. Eng. Chem. Process Des. Dev. 25 (1986) 634–642.Google Scholar
- 5.S.E. Pratsinis, Simultaneous nucleation, condensation, and coagulation in aerosol reactors. J. Colloid Interface Sci. 124 (1988) 416–427.Google Scholar
- 6.D.R. Warren and J.H. Seinfeld, Nucleation and growth of aerosol from a continuously-reinforced vapor. Aerosol Sci. Technol. 3 (1984) 135–153.Google Scholar
- 7.D.R. Warren and J.H. Seinfeld, Prediction of aerosol characteristics resulting from a burst of Nucleation. J. Colloid Interface Sci. 105 (1985) 136–142.Google Scholar
- 8.B.D. Shaw, Asymptotic solution of nonlinear moment equations for constant-rate aerosol reactors. Math. Prob. Eng. 4 (1998) 233–246.Google Scholar
- 9.R.P. Rao and P.H. McMurry, Nucleation and growth of aerosol in chemically reacting systems: a study of the near-collision-controlled regime. Aerosol Sci. Technol. 11 (1989) 120–132.Google Scholar
- 10.R.P. Rao and P.H. McMurry, Effect of the Tolman surface tension correction on nucleation in chemicallyreacting systems. Aerosol Sci. Technol. 13 (1990) 183–195.Google Scholar
- 11.G.S. Springer, Homogeneous nucleation. Adv. Heat. Trans. 14 (1978) 281–346.Google Scholar