Solution structure of the human Grb7-SH2 domain/erbB2 peptide complex and structural basis for Grb7 binding to ErbB2
The solution structure of the hGrb7-SH2 domain in complex with a ten amino acid phosphorylated peptide ligand representative of the erbB2 receptor tyrosine kinase (pY1139) is presented as determined by nuclear magnetic resonance methods. The hGrb7-SH2 domain structure reveals the Src homology 2 domain topology consisting of a central β-sheet capped at each end by an α-helix. The presence of a four residue insertion in the region between β-strand E and the EF loop and resulting influences on the SH2 domain/peptide complex structure are discussed. The binding conformation of the erbB2 peptide is in a β-turn similar to that found in phosphorylated tyrosine peptides bound to the Grb2-SH2 domain. To our knowledge this is only the second example of an SH2 domain binding its naturally occurring ligands in a turn, instead of extended, conformation. Close contacts between residues responsible for binding specificity in hGrb7-SH2 and the erbB2 peptide are characterized and the potential effect of mutation of these residues on the hGrb7-SH2 domain structure is discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Azara, v2.0, copyright (C) 1993-1996 Wayne Boucher and Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Breeze, A.L., Kara, B.V., Barratt, D.G., Anderson, M., Smith, J.C., Luke, R.W., Best, J. R. and Cartlidge, S.A. (1996) EMBO J., 15, 3579-3589.Google Scholar
- Brunger, A.T., Adams, P.D., Clore, G.M., DeLano, W.L., Gros, P., Grosse-Kunstleve, R.W., Jiang, J.S., Kuszewski, J., Nilges, M., Pannu, N.S., Read, R.J., Rice, L.M., Simonson, T. and Warren, G.L. (1998) Acta Cryst., D54, 905-921.Google Scholar
- Kay, L.E. and Bax, A. (1990) J. Magn. Reson., 86, 110-126.Google Scholar
- Kraulis, P.J. (1989) J. Magn. Reson., 84, 627-633.Google Scholar
- Kuszewski, J., Qin, J., Gronenborn, A.M. and Clore, G.M. (1995) J. Magn. Reson., B106, 92-96.Google Scholar
- Stein, D., Wu, J., Fuqua, S.A., Roonprapunt, C., Yajnik, V., D'Eustachio, P., Moskow, J.J., Buchberg, A.M., Osborne, C.K. and Margolis, B. (1994) EMBO J., 13, 1331-1340.Google Scholar
- Stein, E.G., Ghirlando, R. and Hubbard, S.R. (2003) J. Biol. Chem., in press.Google Scholar
- Wang, J., Dai, H., Yousaf, N., Moussaif, M., Deng, Y., Boufelliga, A., Swamy, O.R., Leone, M.E. and Riedel, H. (1999) Mol. Cell. Biol., 19, 6217-6228.Google Scholar