Impact Assessment of the Upper Silesian Industrial Region on Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Poland
- 79 Downloads
This paper is devoted to the assessment of the impact of the Upper Silesian Industrial Region on greenhouse gases emissions in Poland. Detailed analysis will cover emissions of methane and carbon dioxide which are characteristic for the mining and power engineering industry prevailing in this region. The industries of Silesia emit 16.2% of CO2, and about 30% of methane emissions in Poland come from coal seams. The leading strategy to counteract this situation, not only in Upper Silesia, should involve the improved efficiency of energy use and decreased use of primary energy carriers.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bialecka, B.: 1995, ‘Possibility of use of mine gases to reduce NOx in the coal combustion process’, Ochrona Powietrza 2, 61-73.Google Scholar
- Bialecka, B. and Pilch-Kowalczyk A.: 1996, The Greenhouse Effect - Reasons, Effects, Methods of Counteraction, Central Mining Institute, Katowice, Poland, 48 pp.Google Scholar
- Blaszczyk, B.: 1993, ‘Ecological Conditionings for the Power Industry’, Proceedings of the Polish-American Seminar entitled: Reconstruction - Modernization of Coal-Fired Power Plants, Warszawa, Poland, 15 - 17.06.1993, pp. 81-87.Google Scholar
- Environmental Protection: 2000, Wyd. Gl. Urz. Statyst.,Warszawa, Poland, 2000.Google Scholar
- Ordinance of the Minister of Environmental Protection, Natural Resources and Forestry, 12.02.1990.Google Scholar
- Ordinance of the Minister of Environmental Protection, Natural Resources and Forestry, 28.04.1998.Google Scholar
- Ordinance of the Minister of Environmental Protection, Natural Resources and Forestry, 30.06.2001.Google Scholar
- Pilch-Kowalczyk, A.: 1996, ‘Determination of Economically Effective Method of Energy-Related Management of Mine Gases According to the Methane Concentration Level’, Report 254, Central Mining Institute, Katowice, 155 pp.Google Scholar
- Proceedings of the International Conference: Coalbed Methane Utilization: 1994, Central Mining Institute, Katowice, Poland, 3-6.03.Google Scholar
- Pyka, M.: 1993, ‘About methane energy’, Biuletyn Metan Pokladów Węgla 5, 3-12.Google Scholar
- Sala, A.: 1993, ‘Energy and ecology’, Gospodarka Paliwami i Energią 3, 11-18.Google Scholar
- Strategic programme for the Silesian Voivodeship: 1999, WIOŚ.Google Scholar