Microbial degradation of high and low molecular weight polyaromatic hydrocarbons in a two-phase partitioning bioreactor by two strains of Sphingomonas sp.
- 138 Downloads
A mixture of six polyaromatic hydrocarbons (naphthalene, phenanthrene, fluoranthene, pyrene, chyrysene and benzo[a]pyrene), varying in size from 2 to 5 rings, was dissolved in dodecane, and used as the delivery phase of a partitioning bioreactor. Two species of Sphingomonas were then used individually, and as a consortium, to determine which of the PAHs were degraded. Only low molecular weight PAHs (naphthalene, phenanthrene and fluoranthene) were degraded by the individual strains, but the consortium degraded all substrates either to completion or near completion.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Daugulis AJ (2001) Two-phase partitioning bioreactors: a new technology platform for destroying xenobiotics. Trends Biotechnol. 19: 459–464.Google Scholar
- Daugulis AJ, Janikowski BT (2002) Scale-up performance of a partitioning bioreactor for the degradation of polyaromatic hydrocarbons by Sphingomonas aromaticivorans. Biotechnol. Lett. 24: 591–594.Google Scholar
- Déziel E, Comeau Y, Villemur R (1999) Two-phase bioreactors for enhanced degradation of hydrophobic/toxic compounds. Biodegradation 10: 219–233.Google Scholar
- Fredrickson JK, Balkwill DL, Drake GR, Romine MF, Ringelberg DB, White DC (1995) Aromatic-degrading Sphingomonas isolates from the deep subsurface. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 61: 1917–1922.Google Scholar
- Fredrickson JK, Balkwill DL, Romine MF, Shi T (1999) Ecology, physiology and phylogeny of deep subsurface Sphingomonas sp. J. Ind. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 23: 273–283.Google Scholar
- Janikowski TB, Velicogna D, Punt M, Daugulis AJ (2002) Use of a two-phase partitioning bioreactor for degrading polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by a Sphingomonas sp. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 59: 368–376.Google Scholar
- Malinowski JJ (2001) Two-phase partitioning bioreactors in fermentation technology. Biotechnol. Adv. 19: 525–538.Google Scholar
- Marcoux J, Déziel E, Villemur R, Lépine F, Bisaillon JG, Beaudet R (2000) Optimization of high-molecular-weight polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons’ degradation in a two-liquid-phase bioreactor. J. Appl. Microbiol. 88: 655–652.Google Scholar
- Mueller JG, Chapman PJ, Blattmann BO, Pritchard PH (1990) Isolation and characterization of a fluoranthene-utilizing strain of Pseudomonas paucimobilis. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 56: 1079–1086.Google Scholar
- Shuttleworth KL, Cerniglia CE (1995) Environmental aspects of PAH biodegradation. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 54: 291–302.Google Scholar
- Ye D, Siddiqi MA, Maccubbin AE, Kumar S, Sikka HC (1996) Degradation of polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons by Sphingomonas paucimobilis. Environ. Sci. Technol. 30: 136–142.Google Scholar