Delivery of benzene to Alcaligenes xylosoxidans by solid polymers in a two-phase partitioning bioreactor
Toxic levels of benzene were decreased to sub-inhibitory levels in a bioreactor via absorption by polymer beads or cylinders (poly(ethylene-co-vinyl acetate) or poly(styrene-co-butadiene)). After inoculation with Alcaligenes xylosoxidans, the remaining benzene in the aqueous phase as well as the benzene taken up by the polymers was degraded to completion. The capacity of these polymers for benzene, and benzene diffusivity within the polymers were also determined.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Crank J (1975) The Mathematics of Diffusion. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Crank J, Park GS (1968) Diffusion in Polymers. New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Daugulis AJ, Amsden BG (2003) US Patent Application 010/367,822.Google Scholar
- Déziel E, Comeau Y, Villemur R (1999) Two-phase bioreactors for enhanced degradation of hydrophobic/toxic compounds. Biodegradation 10: 219–233.Google Scholar
- George SC, Thomas S, Ninan KN (1996) Molecular transport of aromatic hydrocarbons through crosslinked styrene-butadiene rubber membranes. Polymer 37: 5839–5848.Google Scholar
- Kumar SA, Thomas S, Kumaran MG (1997) Transport of aromatic hydrocarbons through poly(ethylene-co-vinyl acetate) membranes. Polymer 38: 4629–4640.Google Scholar
- MacLeod CT, Daugulis AJ (2003) Biodegradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in a two-phase partitioning bioreactor in the presence of a bioavailable solvent. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. (in press).Google Scholar
- Malinowski JJ (2001) Two-phase partitioning bioreactors in fermentation technology. Biotechnol. Adv. 19: 525–538.Google Scholar
- Mark JE (1999) Polymer Data Handbook. Toronto: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Salyer I, Kenyon A (1971) Structure and property relationships in ethylene-vinyl acetate copolymers. J. Polymer Sci. 9: 3083–3103.Google Scholar
- Yeom SH, Dalm MCF, Daugulis AJ (2000) Treatment of high-concentration gaseous benzene streams using a novel bioreactor system Biotechnol. Lett. 22: 1747–1751.Google Scholar
- Yeom SH, Daugulis AJ (2001) Benzene degradation in a two-phase partitioning bioreactor by Alcaligenes xylosoxidans Y234. Process Biochem. 36: 765–772.Google Scholar
- Yeom SH, Louie J, Daugulis AJ (2001) The use of partitioning bioreactors for the treatment of high-concentration benzene solutions. Can. J. Chem. Eng. 79: 785–790.Google Scholar