Ritual Female Genital Surgery Among Ethiopian Jews
- 692 Downloads
Ritual female genital surgery is usually associated with Muslim countries although it is normative also among Ethiopian Coptic Christians. Ethiopian Jewish women immigrants to Israel report that ritual female genital surgery was normative in their culture in Ethiopia, but expressed no desire to continue the custom in Israel. This contrasts with Israeli Bedouin Muslims, who were reported to regard ritual female genital surgery as an important part of their identity. Physical examination of 113 Ethiopian Jewish immigrant women in Israel found a variety of lesions in about a third of women, with 27% showing total or partial clitoral amputation. The heterogeneity of the physical findings contrasts with uniform verbal reports in interviews of having undergone a ritual of female genital surgery.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Asali, A., Khamaysi, N., Aburabia, Y., Letzer, S., Halihal, B., Sidovsky, M., Maoz, B., and Belmaker, R. H. (1995). Ritual female genital surgery among Bedouin in Israel. Arch. Sex. Behav. 24: 573–577.Google Scholar
- Dagnew, M. B., and Damena, M. (1990). Traditional child health practices in communities in northwest Ethiopia. Tropical Doctor 20: 40–41.Google Scholar
- Dirie, A., and Lindmark, G. (1991). Female circumcision in Somalia and women's motives. Acta Obstet. Gynecol. Scand. 70: 581–585.Google Scholar
- El Dareer, A. (1983). Attitudes of Sudanese people to the practice of female circumcision. Int. J. Epidemiol. 12: 138–144.Google Scholar
- Female circumcision (editorial). (1983). Lancet 1: 569.Google Scholar
- Harel, D. (1967). Medical work among the Falashas of Ethiopia. Israel J. Med. Sci. 3: 483–490.Google Scholar
- Lightfoot-Klein, H. (1989). The sexual experience and marital adjustment of genitally circumcised and infibulated females in the Sudan. J. Sex Res. 26: 375–392.Google Scholar
- Messing, S. (1957). The highland plateau amhara of Ethiopia. PhD thesis, University of Pennsylvania.Google Scholar