In this paper, we define some consequence relations based on supervaluation semantics for partial models, and we investigate their properties. For our main consequence relation, we show that natural versions of the following fail: upwards and downwards Lowenheim–Skolem, axiomatizability, and compactness. We also consider an alternate version for supervaluation semantics, and show both axiomatizability and compactness for the resulting consequence relation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chang, C. C. and Keisler, H. J.: 1990, Model Theory, 3rd edn, North-Holland, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Dummett, M.: 1970, Wang's paradox, first delivered at SUNY Bluffalo in 1970. First published in Synthese 30 (1975), 301–324. Reprinted in M. Dummett (1978), Truth and Other Enigmas, Harvard University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Kremer, M.: 1986, Logic and truth, Ph.D. dissertation, University of Pittsburgh.Google Scholar
- Kripke, S.: 1975, Outline of a theory of truth, J. Philos. 72, 690–716.Google Scholar
- Martin, R. L. and Woodruff, P. W.: 1975, On representing ‘True-in L’ in L, Philosophia 5, 217–221.Google Scholar
- McGee, V.: 1991, Truth, Vagueness and Paradox, Hackett Publishing Company, Indianapolis.Google Scholar
- Mehlberg, H.: 1958, The Reach of Science, University of Toronto Press, Toronto and Oxford University Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Scott, D.: 1975, Combinators and classes, in λ-calculus and Computer Science Theory, Lecture Notes in Comput. Sci. 37, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp. 1–26.Google Scholar
- Thomason, S. K.: 1973, A new representation of S5, Notre Dame J. Formal Logic 14, 281–284.Google Scholar
- van Fraassen, B.: 1966, Singular terms, truth-value gaps and free logic, J. Philos. 63, 481–495.Google Scholar
- van Fraassen, B.: 1968, Presupposition, implication and self-reference, J. Philos. 65, 136–152.Google Scholar
- van Fraassen, B.: 1971, Formal Semantics and Logic, Macmillan, New York.Google Scholar
- Woodruff, P.: 1984, On supervaluations in free logic, J. Symbolic Logic 49, 943–950.Google Scholar