Tensile properties of ligno-cellulosic fabrics coated with styrenated polyester resin
- 85 Downloads
Ligno-cellulosic fabrics from the tree Hildegardia populifolia were coated with styrenated polyester resin, and their tensile strength, elastic modulus, and the percent elongation at break were determined. The effects of sodium hydroxide and a silane-coupling agent on the tensile properties of the fabric were also studied. It was observed that the tensile strength and the modulus decreased whereas the percent elongation at break increased with coating. The coupling agent improved the properties of the untreated and polyester-coated fabric, but a reverse trend was observed when the fabric was treated with sodium hydroxide. The possible reasons for this behavior are discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dipa R. and Sarkar B.K. 2001. Characterization of alkali treated jute fibers for physical and mechanical properties. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 80: 1013-1020.Google Scholar
- Mannan K.H.M. and Munir M.D.S. 2000. Characterization of jute fibers treated with soap-glycerol micelles. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 77: 852-856.Google Scholar
- Mohanty A.K., Tripathy P.C., Misra M., Parija S. and Sahoo S. 2001. Chemical modification of pineapple leaf fiber: graft copolymerization of acrylonitrile onto defatted pineapple leaf fi-bers. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 77: 3035-3043.Google Scholar
- Narasimha C.K. 2000. Development and performance analysis of bamboo fiber reinforced styrenated polyester composites. Ph.D. Thesis, Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Anantapur, India.Google Scholar
- Rout J., Tripathy S.S., Nayak S.K., Misra M. and Mohanty A.K. 2001. Scanning electron microscopy study of chemically modified coir fibers. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 79: 1169-1177.Google Scholar
- Varada R.A., Babu R.G. and Lakshminarayana R.R. 2000. Chemical resistance and tensile properties of epoxy/polymethyl methacrylate blend coated bamboo fibers. Ind. J. Fiber Text. Res. 25: 295-297.Google Scholar
- Varada R.A., Babu R.G., Lakshminarayana R.R. and Sanjeevi R. 2001. Chemical resistance and tensile properties of epoxy/polycarbonate blend coated bamboo fibers. J. Reinforced Plastics Composites 20: 335-340.Google Scholar
- Varada R.A., Babu R.G., Ravi P.R.B., Madhusudhana R.A., He J.S. and Zhang J. 2002. Properties of ligno-cellulose fiber Hildegardia. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 84: 2216-2221.Google Scholar