Identities of Semigroups of Triangular Matrices over Finite Fields
- 51 Downloads
It is proved that the semigroup of all triangular n × n matrices over a finite field K is inherently nonfinitely based if and only if n > 3 and |K|> 2.
finite semigroup finite base property finite field locally finite variety inherently nonfinitely based variety semigroup of triangular matrices
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Oates and M. B. owell, “Identical relations in finite groups,” J. Algebra, 1 (1964), no. 1, 11–39.Google Scholar
- 2.P. Perkins, “Bases for equational theories of semigroups,” J. Algebra, 11 (1969), no. 2, 298–314.Google Scholar
- 3.L. N. Shevrin and M. V. Volkov, “Identities of semigroups,” Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved. Mat. [Soviet Math. (Iz. VUZ)], (1985), no. 11, 3–47.Google Scholar
- 4.M. V. Volkov, “The finite basis problem for finite semigroups,” Sci. Math. Jpn., 53 (2001), no. 1, 171–199.Google Scholar
- 5.A. I. Mal'tsev, Algebraic Systems [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow, 1970; English translation in: A. I. Malcev, Algebraic Systems, Die Grundlehren der mathematischen Wissenschaften, Band 192, Springer-Verlag, New York–Heidelberg, 1973.Google Scholar
- 6.M. V. Sapir, “Problems of Burnside type and the finite basis property in varieties of semigroups,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR Ser. Mat. [Math. USSR-Izv.], 51 (1987), no. 2, 319–340.Google Scholar
- 7.A. H. Clifford and G. B. Preston, The Algebraic Theory of Semigroups, vol. I, II, Mathematical Surveys, no. 7, American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 1961, 1967.Google Scholar
- 8.L. N. Shevrin, “On the theory of epigroups. I,” Mat. Sb. [Russian Acad. Sci. Sb. Math.], 185 (1994), no. 8, 129–160.Google Scholar
- 9.M. V. Sapir, “Inherently non-finitely based finite semigroups,” Mat. Sb. [Math. USSR-Sb.], 133 (1987), no. 2, 154–166.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Jackson, “Small inherently nonfinitely based finite semigroups,” Semigroup Forum (to appear).Google Scholar
© Plenum Publishing Corporation 2003