Coming Out and Coming Home
This paper draws on the testimonies of British disabled lesbians and gay men about their experience of coming out as gay, and coming out as disabled. They reflect on the different aspects of their identity, and the interrelation of their sexuality and their disability. The respondents share their experiences of exclusion and marginality in both the disability and gay communities, and discuss where they feel most at home as disabled lesbians and gays.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Appleby, Y. (1994). Out in the margins. Disability and Society, 9(1), 19-32.Google Scholar
- Booth, T. (1996). Sounds of still voices: Issues in the use of narrative methods with people who have learning difficulties. In L. Barton (Ed.), Disability and Society (pp. 237-255) Harlow: Longmans.Google Scholar
- Corbett, J. (1994). A proud label: Exploring the relationship between disability politics and gay pride. Disability and Society, 9(3), 343-357.Google Scholar
- Disabilities. 34. Homosexuality. (1949, July 16). The Lancet, 128-9.Google Scholar
- Morris, J. (1991). Pride against prejudice. London: Women's Press.Google Scholar
- Oliver, M. (1990). The politics of disablement. Basingstoke: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Plummer, K. (1995). Telling sexual stories. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Robinault, I. (1978). Sex, society and the disabled. Hagerstown, MD: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- Shakespeare, T., Gillespie-Sells, K., & Davies, D. (1996). The sexual politics of disability. London: Cassell.Google Scholar
- Shakespeare, T. (1996) Disability, identity, difference. In C. Barnes & G. Mercer, Exploring the divide: Chronic illness and disability (pp. 94-113). Leeds: Disability Press.Google Scholar
- Shakespeare, T. (1998). Out on the edge: The exclusion of disabled people from the British gay and lesbian community. Disability Studies Quarterly, forthcoming.Google Scholar
- Thompson, K., & Andrzejewski, J. (1988). Why can't Sharon Kowalski come home. San Francisco: Spinsters.Google Scholar
- Weeks, J. (1977). Coming out. London: Quartet Books.Google Scholar