Laser-induced self-propagating reaction synthesis of amorphous-based composite Zr-Al-Ni-Cu alloys
- 90 Downloads
Strong exothermic reaction due to large negative enthalpy of mixing can occur among major components of bulk metallic glass forming alloy systems. Based on this idea, we developed a new technique to fabricate amorphous-based composite materials using Laser-induced Self-propagating Reaction Synthesis (LSRS). The LSRS of the Zr55Al10Ni5Cu30 alloy shows that the products mainly consist of the amorphous, Zr3Al2 and Zr2Cu phases. Hardness and wear resistance of the produced composite alloys are measured and are compared to the single amorphous phase alloy of the same composition.
KeywordsPolymer Enthalpy Composite Material Wear Resistance Amorphous Phase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Inoue, Acta Materialia 48 (2000) 279.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Inoue, T. Zhang and T. Masumoto, J. Non-Crys. Solid 156-158 (1993) 473.Google Scholar
- 3.Idem., Material Transactions 36 (1995) 391.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Inoue, Y. Shinohara, Y. Yokoyama and T. Masumoto, ibid. 36 (1995) 1276.Google Scholar
- 5.N. Chikashi, A. Munegyuki and K. Yoshinari, ibid. 31 (1990) 471.Google Scholar
- 6.G. Sipnolo, G. Flor and Z. A. Munir, Journal of Alloys and Compounds 247 (1997) 190.Google Scholar
- 7.Y. Lu and M. Hirohashi, J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 18 (1999) 395.Google Scholar
- 8.C. S. Wang, G. Li, Y. L. Xia and C. Dong, Chinese Patent no. 01106093. X (2001).Google Scholar
- 9.G. Z. Xu, Z. R. Zhou and J. J. Liu, Wear 224 (1999) 211.Google Scholar