Direct Current Measurements off Sanriku, East of Japan
- 54 Downloads
One year records of four current meters moored at two sites off Sanriku (39°26′ N, 142°45′ E and 143°E) have been analyzed. Mean currents flowed southward to southwestward with velocity 2.5–7.8 cm s−1. The geostrophic velocity appeared to be surface-intensified, and the flows at 500 m depth have a relationship with the 100 m depth temperature distribution, suggesting the influence of the upper layer flows. At a depth of 1500 m and 2500 m, southward to southwestward flows are thought to be a part of the current flowing southward on the western flank of the Japan Trench.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hakodate Marine Observatory (2000-2001): Ten-day Marine Report, 220–258.Google Scholar
- Hanawa, K. (1995): Southward penetration of the Oyashio water system and the wintertime condition of the midlatitude westerlies over the North Pacific. Bull. Hokkaido Reg. Fish. Res. Lab., 59, 103–120.Google Scholar
- Hanawa, K. and H. Mitsudera (1985): On the constructing daily mean data from oceanic data—Note on dealing with daily mean data. Bull. Coast. Oceanogr., 23, 79–87 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Inagake, D. (1996): Observations of deep current velocities east of Kinka-zan from October 1991 to October 1993. Tohoku Natl. Fish. Res. Inst., 58, 61–75 (in Japanese with English abstract).Google Scholar
- Itoh, S. and T. Sugimoto (2001a): Dynamics of long-term northward movement of warm-core rings and their effect on fishing ground formation. Bull. Japan Soc. Fish. Oceanogr., 65, 15–21 (in Japanese with English abstract).Google Scholar
- Kawai, H. (1972): Hydrography of the Kuroshio Extension. p. 235–352. In Kuroshio, It's Physical Aspects, ed. by H. Stommel and K. Yoshida, Chapter 8, University of Tokyo Press.Google Scholar
- Kawasaki, H., T. Kono and T. Sugimoto (1990): Current speed variability of the Oyashio. Kaiyo Monthly, 22, 199–210 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Mishra, P. and T. Sugimoto (2000): Formation processes and ssociated events in the evolution of Kuroshio warm core ring. In Proceedings of the PORSEC 2000 Goa, India, 2, p. 565–570.Google Scholar
- Sainz-Trápaga, S. and T. Sugimoto (1998): Spreading of warm water from the Kuroshio Extension into the perturbed area. J. Oceanogr., 54, 257–272.Google Scholar
- Yasuda, I., K. Okuda and M. Hirai (1992): Evolution of a Kuroshio warm-core ring—variability of the hydrographic structure. Deep-Sea Res., 39, S131–S161.Google Scholar