Photocatalytic Degradation of Phenol
- 910 Downloads
In this study photocatalytic degradation of phenol in thepresence of UV irradiated TiO2 catalyst andH2O2was investigated. Effects of TiO2 andH2O2concentrations and pH on photocatalytic degradation were examined. The rate constants for photocatalytic degradation wereevaluated as a function of TiO2 and H2O2 concentrations and pH of the solution. It was found thatphotodegradation is an effective method for the removal of phenoland disappearance of phenol obeyed first order kinetics. The amount of CO2h produced during photocatalytic degradation wascorresponding to the complete mineralization. Photodegradationcan be an alternative method for the treatment of phenol containing wastewaters.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- APHA: 1985, Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 16th ed., Washington.Google Scholar
- Crittenden, J. C., Lıu, J., Hand, D. W. and Perrram, D. L.: 1997, 'Photocatalytic oxidation of chlorinated hydrocarbons in water', Wat. Res. 31, 429-438.Google Scholar
- Davis, A. P. and Huang, C. P.: 1990, 'The removal of substituted phenols by a photocatalytic oxidation process with cadmium sulphide', Wat. Res. 24, 543-550.Google Scholar
- D'Oliveria, J.-C., Al-Sayyed, G. and Pichat, P.: 1990, 'Photodegradation of 2-and 3-chlorophenol in TiO2 aqueous suspension', Environ. Sci. Technol. 24, 990-996.Google Scholar
- Kochany, E. L.: 1993, 'Hydrogen peroxide mediated photodegradation of phenol as studied by a flash photolysis/HPLC technique', Environ. Pollut. 80, 147-152.Google Scholar
- Lakshmi, S., Renganathan, R. and Fujita, S.: 1995, 'Study on TiO2-mediated photocatalytic degradation of methylene blue', J. Photochem. Photobiol. 88, 163-167.Google Scholar
- Matthews, R. W.: 1991, 'Photooxidative degradation of coloured organics in water using supported catalysts TiO2 on sand', Wat. Res. 25, 1169-1176.Google Scholar
- Tennakone, K., Tilakatne, C. T. K. and Kottegoda, I. R. M.: 1995, 'Photocatalytic degradation of organic contaminants in water with TiO2 supported on polyethylene films', J. Photochem. Photobiol. A: Chemistry 87, 177-179.Google Scholar
- Topudurti, K. V., Lewis, N.M. and Hirs, S. H.: 1993, 'The applicability of UV/oxidation technologies treat contaminated groundwater', Environ. Progr. 12, 54-60.Google Scholar
- Winterbottom, J. M., Khan, Z., Boyes, A. P. and Raymahasay, S.: 1997, 'Photocatalyzed oxidation of phenol in water using a cocurrent downflow contactor reactor', Environ. Progress 16, 125-131.Google Scholar