Wet Chemical Synthesis of Hydroxyapatite Particles from Nonstoichiometric Solutions
- 79 Downloads
Hydroxyapatite [Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2; or HAp] particles with controlled stoichiometry were precipitated from solution by forced hydrolysis of mixtures of calcium and phosphate salts at a high pH and temperature. The mixing procedure determines the final stoichiometry of the precipitated HAp. The resulting panicles were characterized by FTIR, XRD, TEM, and light scattering and their chemical composition was determined by ICP, indicating that pure crystalline HAp with a narrow size distribution was indeed formed, despite some aggregation being detected by light scattering. The Ca/P ratio was found to depend on the specific preparation route.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. S. B. Nasarajau and D. E. Phebe, J. Mater. Sci. 31, 1 (1996).Google Scholar
- 2.K. Ohura, T. Yamamuro, and N. Nakamura, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 25, 357 (1991).Google Scholar
- 3.P. E. Wang and T. K. Chaki, J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Med. 4, 150 (1993).Google Scholar
- 4.G. Bonel, J. C. Heughebaert, M. Heughebaert, J. C. Lacout, and A. Leguble, in Bioceramics: Materials Characteristics Versus in Vivo Behavior, P. Ducheney and J. E. Lemons, eds. (Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, Vol. 523, New York, 1988).Google Scholar
- 5.P. Li, C. Ohtsuki, and T. Kokubo, J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Med. 4, 127 (1993).Google Scholar
- 6.S. Saha, J. Mater. Sci. 12, 1798 (1977).Google Scholar
- 7.M. Jarcho, C. H. Bolen, M. B. Thomas, J. Bobick, J. F. Kay, and R. H. Doremus, J. Mater. Sci. 11, 2027 (1976).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Royer, J. C. Viguie, M. Heughebaert, J. C. Heughebaert, J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Med. 4, 76 (1993).Google Scholar
- 9.R. Zapanta LeGeros, Calcium Phosphates in Oral Biology and Medicine (Karger, Basel, 1991).Google Scholar
- 10.K. Yamashita and T. Kanazawa, in Inorganic Phosphate Materials, T. Kanazawa, ed. (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1989).Google Scholar
- 11.M. J. J. M. Van Kemendade and P. L. de Bruyn, J. Colloid Interf. Chem. 118, 564 (1987).Google Scholar
- 12.R. M. Smith and A. Martell, Critical Stability Constants (Plenum Press, New York, 1976).Google Scholar