Convex Envelopes of Monomials of Odd Degree
Convex envelopes of nonconvex functions are widely used to calculate lower bounds to solutions of nonlinear programming problems (NLP), particularly within the context of spatial Branch-and-Bound methods for global optimization. This paper proposes a nonlinear continuous and differentiable convex envelope for monomial terms of odd degree, x2k+1, where k ∈ N and the range of x includes zero. We prove that this envelope is the tightest possible. We also derive a linear relaxation from the proposed envelope, and compare both the nonlinear and linear formulations with relaxations obtained using other approaches.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adjiman, C. S. and Floudas, C. A. (1996), Rigorous convex underestimators for general twicedifferentiable problems, Journal of Global Optimization 9(1), 23-40.Google Scholar
- Androulakis, I. P., Maranas, C. D. and Floudas, C. A. (1995), α BB: A global optimization method for general constrained nonconvex problems, Journal of Global Optimization 7(4), 337-363.Google Scholar
- Maranas, C. D. and Floudas, C. A. (1995), Finding all solutions to nonlinearly constrained systems of equations, Journal of Global Optimization 7(2), 143-182.Google Scholar
- McCormick, G. P. (1976), Computability of global solutions to factorable nonconvex programs: Part I - Convex underestimating problems, Mathematical Programming 10, 146-175.Google Scholar
- Ryoo, H. S. and Sahinidis, N. V. (1995), Global optimization of nonconvex NLPs and MINLPs with applications in process design, Computers & Chemical Engineering 19(5), 551-566.Google Scholar
- Smith, E. M. (1996), On the optimal design of continuous processes, Ph.D. thesis, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, University of London.Google Scholar
- Smith, E. M. and Pantelides, C. C. (1997), Global Optimisation of Nonconvex MINLPs, Computers and Chemical Engineering 21, S791-S796.Google Scholar
- Smith, E. M. and Pantelides, C. C. (1999), A symbolic reformulation/spatial branch-and-bound algorithm for the global optimisation of nonconvex MINLPs, Computers and Chemical Engineering 23, 457-478.Google Scholar
- Stewart, I. (1989), Galois Theory. 2nd edition Chapman & Hall, London.Google Scholar
- Tuy, H. (1998), Convex Analysis and Global Optimization. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dodrecht.Google Scholar