Obligation and the Conditional in Stit Theory
- 66 Downloads
In this paper, we consider two different ways in which modus-ponens type reasoning with conditional obligations may be formalized. We develop necessary and sufficient conditions for the validity of each, and make some philosophical observations about the differences between the minor premises that each formalization requires. All this is done within the context of the Belnap-Perloff stit theory.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bartha, P., 'Conditional obligation and the logic of agency', in Meyer and Wieringa, editors, DEON '91: First International Workshop on Deontic Logic, pages 89-106. Amsterdam, 1991.Google Scholar
- Bartha, P., 'Conditional obligation, deontic paradoxes, and the logic of agency', Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence 9:1-23, 1993.Google Scholar
- Belnap, N., and M. Perloff, 'In the realm of agents', in Meyer and Wieringa, editors, DEON '91: First International Workshop on Deontic Logic, pages 107-126. Amsterdam, 1991.Google Scholar
- Belnap, N., and M. Perloff, 'The way of the agent', Studia Logica 51:463-484, 1992.Google Scholar
- Castañeda, H.-N., 'The paradoxes of deontic logic: The simplest solution to all of them in one fell swoop', in New Studies in Deontic Logic. Reidel, Dordrecht, 1981.Google Scholar
- Hilpinen, R., and D. Føllesdal, 'Deontic logic: An introduction', in Deontic Logic: Introductory and Systematic Readings. Reidel, Dordrecht, 1971.Google Scholar
- Hintikka, J., 'Some main problems of deontic logic', in Deontic Logic: Introductory and Systematic Readings. Reidel, Dordrecht, 1971.Google Scholar
- Horty, J., 'Agency and obligation', Synthese, 108:269-307, 1996.Google Scholar
- Horty, J., and N. Belnap, 'The deliberative stit: a study of action, omission, ability and obligation', Journal of Philosophical Logic, 24:278-293, 1995.Google Scholar
- Xu, M., N. Belnap and N. M. Perloff, Facing The Future: Agents and Choice in Our Indeterminist World. Oxford University Press, 2001.Google Scholar
- Wansing, H., 'Nested deontic modalities: Another view of parking on highways', Erkenntnis 49:185-199, 1998.Google Scholar
- Xu, M., 'Busy choice sequences, refraining formulas and modalities', Studia logica 54:267-301, 1995.Google Scholar