Rapidly Mixing Random Walks and Bounds on Characters of the Symmetric Group
We investigate mixing of random walks on Sn and An generated by permutations of a given cycle structure. The approach follows methods developed by Diaconis, which requires certain estimates on characters of the symmetric group and uses combinatorics of Young tableaux. We conclude with conjectures and open problems.
- 2.D. Aldous and J. Fill, Reversible Markov Chains and Random Walks on Graphs, monograph in preparation, 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.Y. Dvir, Covering Properties of Permutation Groups, Lecture Notes in Math. 1112, Springer-Verlag, 1985.Google Scholar
- 9.G. James and A. Kerber, “The representation theory of the symmetric group,” in Encyclopedia of Mathematics and its Applications, Vol. 16, G.-C. Rota (Ed.), Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass. 1981.Google Scholar
- 11.L. Lovász and P. Winkler, Mixing Times, AMS DIMACS Series, Vol. 41, pp. 189–204, 1998.Google Scholar
- 13.N. Lulov, “RandomWalks on the Symmetric Group Generated by Conjugacy Classes,” Ph.D. Thesis, Harvard University, 1996.Google Scholar
- 15.I. Pak, “RandomWalks on Permutation: Strong Uniform Time Approach,” Ph.D. Thesis, Harvard University, 1997.Google Scholar