Queue Lengths and Waiting Times for Multiserver Queues with Abandonment and Retrials
- 236 Downloads
We consider a Markovian multiserver queueing model with time dependent parameters where waiting customers may abandon and subsequently retry. We provide simple fluid and diffusion approximations to estimate the mean, variance, and density for both the queue length and virtual waiting time processes arising in this model. These approximations, which are generated by numerically integrating only 7 ordinary differential equations, are justified by limit theorems where the arrival rate and number of servers grow large. We compare our approximations to simulations, and they perform extremely well.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R.A. Horn and C.R. Johnson, Matrix Analysis (Cambridge Univ. Press, New York, 1985).Google Scholar
- I. Karatzas and S.E. Shreve, Brownian Motion and Stochastic Calculus, 2nd ed. (Springer, New York, 1991).Google Scholar
- A. Mandelbaum and W.A. Massey, Strong approximations for time dependent queues, Mathematics of Operations Research 20(1) (1995) 33–64.Google Scholar
- A. Mandelbaum, W.A. Massey and M.I. Reiman, Strong approximations for Markovian service networks, Queueing Systems 30 (1998) 149–201.Google Scholar
- A. Mandelbaum, W.A. Massey, M.I. Reiman and B. Rider, Time varying multiserver queues with abandonment and retrials, in: ITC-16, Edinburgh, Scotland, 1999.Google Scholar
- A. Mandelbaum, W.A. Massey, M.I. Reiman and A.L. Stolyar, Waiting time asymptotics for time varying multiserver queues with abandonment and retrials, in: Proc. of the Allerton Conference, 1999.Google Scholar
- A. Mandelbaum, W.A. Massey, M.I. Reiman and A.L. Stolyar, Waiting time asymptotics for multi-server, nonstationary Jackson networks with abandonment, in preparation.Google Scholar
- A. Puhalskii, On the invariance principle for the first passage time, Mathematics of Operations Research 19 (1994) 946–954.Google Scholar
- R.W. Wolff, Stochastic Modeling and the Theory of Queues (Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1989).Google Scholar