Theoretical Consideration of Amplification Strategies
- 27 Downloads
Experimentalists would like to perform large-scale expression analysis on samples drawn from small cell populations and even single cells. Amplification of the source material is required to assay such small samples under all existing array technologies. In this report we consider the very different theoretical properties of linear and PCR-based amplification. A suggestion is made concerning a hybrid amplification strategy incorporating the advantages offered by both approaches.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Van Driessche, N., Shaw, C., Katoh, M., Morio, T., Sucgang, R., Ibarra, M., Kuwayama, H., Saito, T., Urushihara, H., Maeda, M., Takeuchi, I., Eaton, W., Tollett, J., Halter, J., Kuspa, A., Tanaka, Y., and Shaulsky, G. 2002. Specific synthesis of DNA in vitro via a a polymerase-catalyzed chain-reaction. Development 129: 1543-1552.Google Scholar
- 2.Krawczak, R. 1989. Polymerase chain reaction replication errors and reliability of gene diagnosis. Nucleic Acids Res. 17: 2197-2201.Google Scholar
- 3.Wiess, G. and von Haeseler, A. 1997. A genealogical approach to the polymerase chain reaction. Nucleic Acids Res. 25:3082-3087.Google Scholar
- 4.Peccoud, J. and Jacob, C. 1996. Theoretical uncertainty of measurements using quantitative polymerase chain reaction. Biophys. J. 71:101-108.Google Scholar
- 5.Shaw, C. A. 2001. Genealogical Methods for Multitype Branching Processes with Applications in Biology. Department of Statistics, Rice University, Houston, Texas.Google Scholar
- 6.Phillips, J. and Eberwine, J. 1996. Antisense rna amplification: A linear amplification method for analyzing the mrna population from single living cells. Methods Enzymol. 10:283-288.Google Scholar
- 7.Resnick. 1994. Adventures in Stochastic Processes. Birkhauser, Boston, 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.Kacharmina, J., Crino, P., and Eberwine, J. 1999. Preparation of cDNA from single cells and subcellular regions. Methods Enzymol. 303:3-18.Google Scholar
- 9.Mullis, K. B. and Faloona, F. A. 1987. Specific synthesis of DNA in vitro via a a polymerase-catalyzed chain-reaction. Methods Enzymol. 155:335-351.Google Scholar