Three-Dimensional Continuum Simulations of Ion Transport Through Biological Ion Channels: Effect of Charge Distribution in the Constriction Region of Porin
- 59 Downloads
Drift-diffusion models are useful for studying ion transport in open protein channel systems over time scales that cannot be resolved practically by detailed molecular dynamics or quantum approaches. Water is treated as a uniform background medium with a specific dielectric constant and macroscopic current flow is resolved by assigning an appropriate mobility and diffusivity to each ionic species. The solution of Poisson's equation over the entire domain provides a simple way to include external boundary conditions and image force effects at dielectric discontinuities. Here we present a 3-D drift-diffusion model of ion (K+ and Cl−) permeation through the porin channel ompF, and its mutant G119D, implemented using the computational platform PROPHET.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chiu S.W. and Jakobsson E. Private communication.Google Scholar
- Dutzler R. Private communication.Google Scholar
- Hille B. 1992. Ionic Channels of Excitable Membranes. Sinauer Associates Inc., MA.Google Scholar
- Hollerbach U., Chen D.P., Busath D.D., and Eisenberg B. 2000. Predicting function from structure using the Poisson-Nernst-Planck equations: Sodium current in the gramicidin a channel. Langmuir 16: 5509–5514.Google Scholar
- Jorgensen W.L. and Tirado-Rives J. 1988. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 110: 1657–1666.Google Scholar
- Karshikoff A., Spassov V., Cowan S.W., Ladenstein R., and Schirmer T. 1994. J. Mol. Biol. 240(4): 372–384.Google Scholar
- Phale P.S., Philippsen A., Widmer C., Phale V.P., Rosenbusch J.P., and Schirmer T. 2001. Role of charged residues at the ompF porin channel constriction probed by mutagenesis and simulation. Biochemistry 40: 6319–6325.Google Scholar
- Schirmer T. and Phale P.S. 1999. Brownian dynamics simulation of ion flow through porin channels. J. Mol. Biol. 294: 1159– 1167.Google Scholar
- Varma S. and Jakobsson E. Private communication.Google Scholar