A Brief Overview of Special Education Law with Focus on Autism
- 355 Downloads
This article reviews the provisions of Individuals with Disabilities Education Act as they apply particularly to students with autism. It also refers to the antidiscrimination provisions of the Rehabilitation Act Amendments (Sec. 504) and to their relevance to students with autism. It attempts to answer specific questions posed by the National Academy of Science.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- DeShaney v. Winnebago, 489 U.S. 189 (1982).Google Scholar
- Final Regulations, Individuals with Disabilities Education Act Amendments of 1997, 34 C.F.R. Part 300 (1999).Google Scholar
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, 20 U.S.C. Sec. 1400 et seq. Google Scholar
- Rehabilitation Act Amendments of 1975, 29 U.S.C. Sec. 974 (1996) (also known as Section 504).Google Scholar
- Youngberg v. Romeo, 457 U.S. 307 (1982).Google Scholar
- Sugai, G., Horner, R., Dunlap, G., Lewis, T., Nelson, M., Scott, T. et al. (1999). Applying positive behavioral support and functional behavioral assessment in schools. Lawrence, KS: OSEP Technical Assistance Center, Beach Center on Families and Disability, The University of Kansas.Google Scholar
- Turnbull, H. R., Stowe, M., Wilcox, B. L., Raper, C., & Hedges, L. P. (in press). The public policy foundations for positive behavioral interventions, strategies, and supports. Journal of Positive Behavior Interventions. Google Scholar
- Turnbull, H. R., Turnbull, A. P., Wilcox, B. L., Sailor, W., & Wickham D. (1999). Positive behavioral interventions and supports under the Individuals with Disabilities Act. Lawrence, KS: Beach Center on Families and Disability, The University of Kansas.Google Scholar
- Turnbull, H. R., Turnbull, A., Wilcox, B., & Stowe, M. (2000). Free appropriate public education: The law and children with disabilities (6th ed.). Denver, CO: Love Publishing.Google Scholar
- Turnbull, H. R., Wilcox, B., Stowe, M., & Turnbull, A. Legal requirements for use of PBS: Guidelines for responsible agencies. Journal of Positive Behavior Interventions (in press).Google Scholar