CDMA Uplink Power Control as a Noncooperative Game
We present a game-theoretic treatment of distributed power control in CDMA wireless systems. We make use of the conceptual framework of noncooperative game theory to obtain a distributed and market-based control mechanism. Thus, we address not only the power control problem, but also pricing and allocation of a single resource among several users. A cost function is introduced as the difference between the pricing and utility functions, and the existence of a unique Nash equilibrium is established. In addition, two update algorithms, namely, parallel update and random update, are shown to be globally stable under specific conditions. Convergence properties and robustness of each algorithm are also studied through extensive simulations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. Başar and G.J. Olsder, Dynamic Noncooperative Game Theory, 2nd ed. (SIAM, Philadelphia, PA, 1999).Google Scholar
- P. Billingsley, Probability and Measure, 2nd ed. (Wiley, New York, 1986).Google Scholar
- J.L. Doob, Stochastic Processes (Wiley, New York, 1953).Google Scholar
- D. Falomari, N. Mandayam and D. Goodman, A new framework for power control in wireless data networks: Games utility and pricing, in: Proc. Allerton Conf. on Communication, Control, and Computing, Illinois, USA (September 1998) pp. 546–555.Google Scholar
- H. Ji and C. Huang, Non-cooperative uplink power control in cellular radio systems, Wireless Networks 4(3) (April 1998) 233–240.Google Scholar
- R.T. Maheswaran and T. Başar, Multi-user flow control as a Nash game: Performance of various algorithms, in: Proc. 37th IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control (December 1998) pp. 1090–1095.Google Scholar
- D. Mitra and J. Morrison, A novel distributed power control algorithm for classes of service in cellular cellular CDMA networks, in: Proc. 6th WINLAB Workshop on 3rd Generation Wireless Information Networks, New Jersey, USA (March 1997).Google Scholar
- L.L. Peterson and B.S. Davie, Computer Networks: A System Approach, 2nd ed. (Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco, CA, 2000).Google Scholar
- T.S. Rapaport, Wireless Communications: Principles and Practice (Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 1996).Google Scholar
- C.U. Saraydar, N. Mandayam and D. Goodman, Pareto efficiency of pricing-based power control in wireless data networks, in: WCNC (1999).Google Scholar
- C.W. Sung and W.S. Wong, Power control for multirate multimedia CDMA systems, in: Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM, Vol. 2 (1999) pp. 957–964.Google Scholar
- A.J. Viterbi, CDMA Principles of Spread Spectrum Communication (Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1995).Google Scholar
- R.D. Yates, A framework for uplink power control in cellular radio systems, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 13 1341–1347 (September 1995) 1341–1347.Google Scholar