Coral Reef Fish Assessment in the ‘Coral Triangle’ of Southeastern Asia
- 754 Downloads
Icthyological results of four rapid assessment surveys are presented. The surveys were completed between 1997–1999 and were conducted at the following localities: Milne Bay (Papua New Guinea), Calamianes Islands (Palawan, Philippines), Togean–Banggai Islands (Sulawesi, Indonesia), and Weh Island (Sumatra, Indonesia). Surveys were conducted over periods ranging from 9 to 22 days and consisted mainly of underwater observations while scuba diving, supplemented with small rotenone and spear gun collections. Milne Bay was characterized by a high percentage of pristine reef environments and supported the largest number of species (1040). Diversity was generally lower at the Philippine and Indonesian sites due to more habitat homogeneity and higher fishing pressure, including the widespread use of illegal fishing methods, including cyanide and explosives.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allen, G.R. 1999a. Three new species of damselfishes (Pomacentridae) from Indonesia and eastern Papua New Guinea. Revue fr. Aquariol. 25 (1998: 3–4): 99–105.Google Scholar
- Allen, G.R. 1999b. Altrichthys, a newgenus of damselfish (Pomacentridae) from Philippine seas with description of a new species. Revue fr. Aquariol. 26 (1999: 1–2): 23–28.Google Scholar
- Allen, G.R. 2000. Threatened fishes of the world: Pterapogon kauderni Koumans, 1933 (Apogonidae). Env. Biol. Fish. 57: 142.Google Scholar
- Allen, G.R. & R.C. Kuiter. 1999. Descriptions of two newwrasses of the genus Cirrhilabrus (Labridae) from Indonesia. Aqua. J. Ichthyol. Aquat. Biol. 3(4): 133–140.Google Scholar
- Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1995. Notes on the ecology and behaviour of the Indonesian cardinalfish (Apogonidae) Pterapogon kauderni Koumans. Revue fr. Aquariol. 22(1–2): 7–9.Google Scholar
- Kuiter, R.C. & G.R. Allen. 1999. Descriptions of three new wrasses (Pisces: Labridae; Paracheilinus) from Indonesia and north-western Australia with evidence of possible hybridisation. Aqua. J. Ichthyol. Aquat. Biol. 3(3): 119–132.Google Scholar
- Vagelli, A. 1999. The reproductive biology and early ontology of the mouthbrooding Banggai cardinalfish, Pterapogon kaudermi. (Perciformes, Apogonidae) Env. Biol. Fish. 56: 79–92Google Scholar
- Vagelli, A.A. & M.V. Erdmann. 2002 First comprehensive ecological survey of the Banggai cardinalfish, Pterapogon kauderni. Env. Biol. Fish. 63: 1–8Google Scholar
- Werner, T.B. & G.R. Allen. 1998. A rapid biodiversity assessment of the coral reefs of Milne Bay Province, Papua New Guinea. RAP Working Papers 11, Conservation International, Washington, DC. 109 pp.Google Scholar