Operations Research Methods Applied to Workflow in a Medical Records Department
Transcribing medical documents accurately into pre-defined formats and within certain time frames is vital for administrative and medical purposes in any hospital. This paper describes quantitative models incorporating available data to represent transcription activities of a medical records department. We forecasted the workload of the department, determined the optimal worker schedule and designed a simulation model to represent the workflow of the transcription function of a medical record department. The findings provided insight into the workflow, staffing and performance of the department.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T.W. Anderson and D.A. Darling, Asymptotic theory of certain goodness of fit criteria based on stochastic processes, The Annals of Mathematical Statistics 23 (1952) 193-212.Google Scholar
- J.D. Gibbons and S. Chakraborti, Nonparametric Statistical Inference, 3rd Ed. (Marcel Dekker, New York, 1992).Google Scholar
- S.Y. Edna Chan, Modeling of workflow for a Hospital's Medical Records Department, Master's Thesis, Mathematics and Statistics Department, University of Nebraska, Lincoln (1999). Available: Mathematics Library LD3656 1999.C436.Google Scholar
- D. Gross and C.M. Harris, Fundamentals of Queueing Theory, 2nd Ed. (Wiley, New York, 1985).Google Scholar
- F.S. Hillier and G.J. Liberman, Introduction to Operations Research, 6th Ed. (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1995).Google Scholar
- W.D. Kelton, R.P. Sadowski and D.A. Sadowski, Simulation with Arena (WCB McGraw-Hill, Boston, 1998).Google Scholar
- A.M. Law and S. Vincent, Expertfit User's Guide (Averill M. Law & Associates, Arizona, 1995).Google Scholar
- Manguistics, Statgraphics Plus User's Manual, 3rd version (Manguistics, Maryland, 1997).Google Scholar
- D.C. Montgomery, L.A. Johnson and J.S. Gardiner, Forecasting and Time Series Analysis (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1990).Google Scholar
- J. Ohlmann, Forecasting and optimal scheduling of transcriptionists at Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital, Undergraduate Honors Thesis, Mathematics and Statistics Department, University of Nebraska, Lincoln (1998). Available at http://www.math.unl.edu/~sdunbar/Research. html.Google Scholar
- L.E. Schrage, User's Manual Linear, Integer and Quadratic Programming with LINDO, student ed. (Course Technology Incorporate, 1991).Google Scholar
- L. Wall, T. Christiansen and R.L. Schwartz, Programming Perl, 2nd Ed. (O'Reilly & Associates, California, 1996).Google Scholar