Most genes in hexaploid bread wheat are triplicated. Knowledge of the relationships between the three genomes then allows us to build consensus maps of loci controlling any trait. In this paper we show such a map of some of the major genes and QTL effects that have been reported to be associated with pre-harvest sprouting. The result highlights regions of the genome that have featured in several studies and possible links between QTL and major genes. The same analysis can be extended to other economic grass crop species, where the comparative genome relationships are known in some detail. In this way, loci related to preharvest sprouting in wheat have been compared with some major genes affecting dormancy in maize and dormancy related QTLs in rice. This alignment identifies some candidate loci from maize and some regions of the rice genome that may relate to important wheat QTLs. In turn this approach will open up application of the emerging rice genomic DNA sequence to wheat pre-harvest sprouting research.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bassoi, M., 2002. Quantitative trait analysis of grain dormancy in wheat. PhD Thesis, University of East Anglia, UK, 239 pp.Google Scholar
- Devos, K.M., M.D. Atkinson, C.N. Chinoy, R.L. Harcourt, R.M.D. Koebner, C.J. Liu, P. Masojc, D.X. Xie & M.D. Gale, 1993. Chromosomal rearrangements in the rye genome relative to that of wheat. Theor Appl Genet 85: 673–680.Google Scholar
- Flintham, J.E., R. Adlam, M. Bassoi, M.J. Holdsworth & M.D. Gale, 2002. Mapping genes for resistance to sprouting damage in wheat. Preharvest Spouting in Cereals 2001 (in press).Google Scholar
- Gale, M.D. & K.M. Devos, 1998. Plant comparative genetics after ten years. Science 4817: 1–7.Google Scholar
- Mares, D.J., K. Mrva, M-K. Tan & P.J. Sharp, 2002. Dormancy in white-grained wheat: Progress towards identification of genes and molecular markers. Preharvest Sprouting in Cereals 2001 (in press).Google Scholar
- McIntosh, R.A., G.E. Hart, K.M. Devos, M.D. Gale & W.J. Rogers, 1998. Catalogue of gene symbols for wheat. In: A.E. Slinkard (Ed.), Proc 9th Int Wheat Genet Symp, Volume 5, 236 pp.Google Scholar
- Nueffer, G.M., E.H. Coe & S. Wessler, 1997. Mutants of Maize. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, 468 pp.Google Scholar
- Sorrells, M.E. & J.A. Anderson, 1996. Quantitative trait loci associated with preharvest sprouting in white wheat. In: K. Noda & D.J. Mares (Eds.), Preharvest Sprouting in Cereals 1995, pp 137–142. Center for Academic societies, Japan.Google Scholar
- Varshney, R.K., M. Prasad, J.K. Roy, M.S. Roder, H.S. Balyan & P.K. Gupta, 2001. Integrated physical maps of 2DL, 6BS and 7DL carrying loci for grain protein content and pre-harvest sprouting tolerance in bread wheat. Cereal Res Commun 29: 33–40.Google Scholar