A measurement‐based performance evaluation method for IP networks and its implementation
- 56 Downloads
In recent years, IP networks have become increasingly complex and the range of network applications has widened. As a result, the need for experimental evaluation of application performance has increased. We introduce a measurement‐based performance evaluation method that combines a function to generate various patterns of application traffic with one to measure end‐to‐end network performance at the application level. For our method, we also propose traffic models of various applications that can represent the characteristics of these applications, for example, the burstiness of traffic. This method has already been implemented as a benchmarking tool on UNIX operating systems.
KeywordsApplication Level Interarrival Time Message Size Performance Evaluation Relation Performance Evaluation Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M.E. Crovella and A. Bestavros, Explaining World Wide Web traffic self-similarity, Revised Technical Report TR-95-015, Computer Science Department, Boston University (October 12, 1995).Google Scholar
- http://www.cup.hp.com/netperf/NetperfPage.html.Google Scholar
- M. Ishikura, Y. Ito, O. Maeshima and T. Asami, A traffic measurement tool for IP-based networks, in: Proc. of Internet Workshop'98 (April 1998).Google Scholar
- T.T. Kwan, R.E. McGrath and D.A. Reed, User access patterns to NCSA's World Wide Web server, National Center for Supercomputing Applications, University of Illinois.Google Scholar
- A.M. Law and W.D. Kelton, Simulation Modeling and Analysis (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1991).Google Scholar
- B.A. Mah, An empirical model of HTTP network traffic, in: Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM'97 (1997).Google Scholar
- Y. Murayama and S. Yamaguchi, DBS: A powerful tool for TCP performance evaluations, Proc. of SPIE 3231 (November 1997).Google Scholar
- M. Nabe, K. Baba, M. Murata and H. Miyahara, Analysis and modeling of WWW traffic for designing Internet access networks, Transactions of IEICE B-I J80(6) (1997).Google Scholar
- V. Paxon, Empirically derived analytic models of wide-area TCP connections, IEEE/ACM Transactions of Networking 2(4) (1994).Google Scholar
- W.R. Stevens, TCP/IP Illustrated, Vol. 1 (Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1994).Google Scholar