Viscoelastic effects in nanometer‐scale contacts under shear
We demonstrate the effects of shear modulation on the viscoelastic response of nanometer‐scale single‐asperity contacts under static and dynamic loading conditions. Contact stiffness and relaxation time are determined for contacts to poly(vinylethylene) using a scanning force microscope (SFM). Knowledge of the torsional stiffness κΘ of the SFM cantilever is not required to determine the relaxation time. The relaxation time was several orders of magnitude slower than the bulk relaxation time but decreased slowly to the bulk value as the sample age increased. Contacts showed no evidence of microslip. We show that the shear response observed during the making and breaking of the contacts provides information about the time evolution of the contact area that is not available in force vs. distance curve measurements.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. P. Bowden and D. Tabor, The Friction and Lubrication of Solids (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1950).Google Scholar
- N.A. Burnham and R.J. Colton, in: Scanning Tunneling Microscopy and Spectroscopy, ed. D.A. Bonnell (VCH, New York, 1993).Google Scholar
- J.D. Ferry, Viscoelastic Properties of Polymers (Wiley, New York, 1980).Google Scholar
- Shock and Vibration Handbook, 4th Ed., ed. C.M. Harris (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1996) p. 25.Google Scholar
- K.L. Johnson, Contact Mechanics (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1985).Google Scholar
- C.J. Chen, Introduction to Scanning Tunneling Microscopy (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1993) p. 229.Google Scholar
- D microlevers, Park Scientific Instruments, Sunnyvale, CA.Google Scholar
- T. Baumberger, in: Physics of Sliding Friction, eds. B.N.J. Persson and E. Tosatti (Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht, 1996) p. 1.Google Scholar
- A.R. Savkoor, in: Fundamentals of Friction: Macroscopic and Microscopic Processes, eds. I.L. Singer and H.M. Pollock (Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht, 1992) p. 111.Google Scholar
- K.L. Johnson, Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. A 230 (1955) 531.Google Scholar
- M. Barquins, J. Adhesion 14 (1982) 63.Google Scholar
- K.J. Wahl, S.V. Stepnowski and W.N. Unertl, to be published.Google Scholar
- T.C.T. Ting, J. Appl. Mech. 33 (1966) 845.Google Scholar