Simulation study of AAL type 2
- 18 Downloads
Cellular network applications are growing drastically and this requires a fast and efficient transport method between the base station and the mobile switching center. One possible solution is to use ATM links. The low data rate and small-sized packets in the typical cellular applications imply that significant amount of link bandwidth would be wasted, if this small sized packet is carried by one ATM cell. For efficient operation for such cellular and low bit rate applications, a new type of ATM Adaptation Layer, AAL type 2, has been proposed. In this paper, the principles of AAL type 2 are briefly described along with the introduction of other alternatives which have formed the basis for this new AAL. The result from the simulation to study the performance of the AAL type 2 is discussed from the point of a packet delay and ATM cell use efficiency. Due to the variable sizes of packets in this application, the fairness issue in serving variable sized packets is also discussed along with the effect of the fair queueing algorithm implemented at AAL type 2.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. Baldwin, B. Bharucha, B. Doshi, S. Dravida and S. Nanda, AAL-CU: An ATM adaptation layer for small packet encapsulation, in: Proc. ITC 15 (June 1997) pp. 1445-1456.Google Scholar
- J. Baldwin, B. Bharucha, S. Dravida and S. Nanda, Error and loss resilience of proposed AAL-CUs, ATM Forum/96-0843 (June 1996).Google Scholar
- B-ISDN ATM Adaptation Layer Type 2 Specification, ITU-T Recommendation I.363.2, Draft (November 1996).Google Scholar
- Z.A. Cui, Analysis on variable cell size and short cell size ATM, ATM Forum/96-0056 (February 1996).Google Scholar
- A. Demers, S. Keshav and S. Shenker, Analysis and simulation of a fair queueing algorithm, in: Proc. of SIGCOMM '89, Austin, TX (September 1989) pp. 1-12.Google Scholar
- G. Eneroth, L.-G. Petersen and G. Leijonhufvud, Refined AAL-CU proposal for cellular and low bit rate applications, ATM Forum/96-0776 (June 1996).Google Scholar
- S.J. Golestani, A self-clocked fair queueing scheme for broadband applications, in: Proc. of INFOCOM '94, pp. 636-646.Google Scholar