An atomic X-ray absorption fine structure study of the influence of hydrogen chemisorption and support on the electronic structure of supported Pt particles
- 155 Downloads
The physical principles of atomic XAFS (AXAFS) are presented along with important details on how to isolate the AXAFS contribution from the experimental XAFS data. Intuitive illustrations are given showing how various interactions of the absorber atom with its neighbours influence the AXAFS contribution. Hydrogen chemisorbed on the surface of the supported metal particles is shown to have a strong influence on the amplitude of the Fourier transform AXAFS peak. The effect of the support (with different amounts and types of charge compensating ions (H+, K+), different Si/Al ratio and extra-framework Al) on the experimental AXAFS spectra of Pt dispersed in zeolites (LTL,Y) and on flat supports (Al2O3–SiO2, MgO–Al2O3) are summarised. It is shown that the essence of the metal–support interaction, as revealed in the AXAFS, is a shift in the ionisation potential of the valence d-orbital electrons brought about by the polarisation induced primarily by the changing charge on the support oxygen atoms.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Vaarkamp, J.T. Miller, F.S. Modica, G.S. Lane and D.C. Koningsberger, in: Proc. 10th Int. Congr. Catal., Budapest (1992) p. 809.Google Scholar
- J.T. Miller, F.S. Modica, B.L. Meyers and D.C. Koningsberger, Prep. ACS Div. Petr. Chem. 38 (1993) 825.Google Scholar
- R.A. Dalla Betta and M. Boudart, in: Proc. 5th Int. Congr. Catal., Vol. 2, ed. J.W. Hightower (North Holland, Amsterdam, 1973) p. 1329.Google Scholar
- A. de Mallmann and D. Barthomeuf, J. Chem. Phys. 87 (1990) 535.Google Scholar
- A. de Mallmann and D. Barthomeuf, Stud. Surf. Sci. Catal. 46 (1989) 429.Google Scholar
- D.C. Koningberger, M.K. Oudenhuijzen, D.E. Ramaker and J.T. Miller, Proceedings ICC12, accepted.Google Scholar
- D.E. Ramaker, B.L. Mojet, M.T. Garriga Oostenbrink, J.T. Miller and D.C. Koningsberger, J. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 1 (1999) 2293.Google Scholar
- D.C. Koningsberger and R. Prins, in: X-ray Absorption: Principles, Applications and Techniques of MXAFS, SEXAFS and XANES, eds. D.C. Koningsberger and R. Prins (Wiley, New York, 1988).Google Scholar
- R.T. Morrison and R.N. Boyd, Organic Chemistry, 5th Ed. (Allyn & Bacon, London, 1987).Google Scholar
- G.E. van Dorssen, D.E. Ramaker and D.C. Koningsberger, Phys. Rev. B, submitted.Google Scholar
- G.E. van Dorssen, Ph.D. thesis, Utrecht University (1999).Google Scholar
- V. Ponec and G.C. Bond, Catalysis by Metals and Alloys, Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis, Vol. 95 (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1995) p. 234.Google Scholar