Performance analysis of cellular mobile communication networks supporting multimedia services
- 72 Downloads
This paper illustrates the development of an analytical model for a communication network providing integrated services to a population of mobile users, and presents performance results to both validate the analytical approach, and assess the quality of the services offered to the end users. The analytical model is based on continuous‐time multidimensional birth–death processes, and is focused on just one of the cells in the network. The cellular system is assumed to provide three classes of service: the basic voice service, a data service with bit rate higher than the voice service, and a multimedia service with one voice and one data component. In order to improve the overall network performance, some channels can be reserved to handovers, and multimedia calls that cannot complete a handover are decoupled, by transferring to the target cell only the voice component and suspending the data connection until a sufficient number of channels become free. Numerical results demonstrate the accuracy of the approximate model, as well as the effectiveness of the newly proposed multimedia call decoupling approach.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Beraldi, S. Marano and C. Mastroianni, Performance of a reversible hierarchical cellular system, Wireless Networks 4(1) (1997).Google Scholar
- D. Hong and S. Rappaport, Traffic model and performance analysis for cellular mobile radio telephone systems with prioritized and nonprioritized handoff procedures, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 35(3) (August 1986).Google Scholar
- S. Kumar and D.R. Vaman, An access protocol for supporting multiple classes of service in a local wireless environment, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 45(2) (1996).Google Scholar
- K.K. Leung, W.A. Massey and W. Whitt, Traffic models for wireless communication networks, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 12(8) (October 1994)Google Scholar
- Y. Lin, Modeling techniques for large-scale PCS networks, IEEE Communication Magazine 35(2) (February 1997).Google Scholar
- S. Marano and C. Mastroianni, A hierarchical network scheme for multilayered cellular systems, in: Proc. of VTC 1997, Phoenix, AZ (May 1997).Google Scholar
- P. Narasimhan and R.D. Yates, A new protocol for the integration of voice and data over PRMA, in: Proc. of PIMRC (1995).Google Scholar
- R. Steele and M. Nofal, Teletraffic performance of microcellular personal communication networks, IEE Proceedings I 139(4) (August 1992).Google Scholar
- S. Tekinay, B. Jabbari and A. Kakaes, Modeling of cellular communication networks with heterogeneous traffic sources, in: Proc. of ICUPC (1993).Google Scholar