We consider a stochastic single-server fluid network with both a discounted reward and a cost structure. It can be shown that the optimal policy is a priority index policy. The indices coincide with the optimal indices in a semi-Markovian Klimov problem. Several special cases like single-server reentrant fluid lines are considered. The approach we use is based on sample path arguments and Pontryagins maximum principle.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. Avram, Optimal control of fluid limits of queueing networks and stochasticity corrections, in: Mathematics of Stochastic Manufacturing Systems, eds. G.G. Yin and Q. Zhang, Lectures in Applied Mathematics, Vol. 33 (Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 1997) pp. 1–36.Google Scholar
- F. Avram, D. Bertsimas and M. Ricard, Fluid models of sequencing problems in open queueing networks: An optimal control approach, in: Stochastic Networks, eds. F.P. Kelly and R.J. Williams (1995) pp. 199–234.Google Scholar
- H. Chen and A. Mandelbaum, Hierarchical modeling of stochastic networks part 1: Fluid models, in: Stochastic Modeling and Analysis of Manufacturing Systems, ed. D.D. Yao (Springer, New York, 1994) pp. 47–105.Google Scholar
- H. Chen and D.D. Yao, Dynamic scheduling of a multiclass fluid network, Oper. Res. 41 (1993) 1104–1115.Google Scholar
- S. Meyn, Stability and optimization of queueing networks and their fluid models, in: Mathematics of Stochastic Manufacturing Systems, eds. G.G. Yin and Q. Zhang, Lectures in Applied Mathematics, Vol. 33 (Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 1997) pp. 175–199.Google Scholar
- A. Seierstad and K. Sydsæter, Optimal Control Theory with Economic Applications (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1987).Google Scholar
- S.P. Sethi and Q. Zhang, Hierarchical Decision Making in Stochastic Manufacturing Systems (Birkhäuser, Boston, 1994).Google Scholar
- J. Walrand, An Introduction to Queueing Networks (Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1988).Google Scholar
- G. Weiss, On optimal draining of reentrant fluid lines, in: Stochastic Networks, eds. F.P. Kelly and R.J. Williams (1995) pp. 91–103.Google Scholar