Bounding blocking probabilities and throughput in queueing networks with buffer capacity constraints
- 58 Downloads
We propose a new technique for upper and lower bounding of the throughput and blocking probabilities in queueing networks with buffer capacity constraints, i.e., some buffers in the network have finite capacity. By studying the evolution of multinomials of the state of the system in its assumed steady state, we obtain constraints on the possible behavior of the system. Using these constraints, we obtain linear programs whose values upper and lower bound the performance measures of interest, namely throughputs or blocking probabilities. The main advantages of this new technique are that the computational complexity does not increase with the size of the finite buffers and that the technique is applicable to systems in which some buffers have infinite capacity. The technique is demonstrated on examples taken from both manufacturing systems and communication networks. As a special case, for the M/M/s/s queue, we establish the asymptotic exactness of the bounds, i.e., that the bounds on the blocking probability asymptotically approach the exact value as the degree of the multinomials considered is increased to infinity.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. Bertsimas, I.C. Paschalidis and J.N. Tsitsiklis, Optimization of multiclass queueing networks: Polyhedral and nonlinear characterizations of achievable performance, Ann. Appl. Probab. 4 (1994) 43-75.Google Scholar
- J.G. Dai, On positive Harris recurrence of multiclass queueing networks: A unified approach via fluid limit model, Ann. Appl. Probab. 5 (1995) 49-77.Google Scholar
- D.G. Down and S.P. Meyn, Piecewise linear test functions for stability of queueing networks, in: Proc. of the IEEE 33rd Conf. on Decision and Control (December 1994) pp. 2069-2074.Google Scholar
- F.P. Kelly, Loss networks, Ann. Appl. Probab. 1 (1991) 319-378.Google Scholar
- L. Kleinrock, Queueing Systems, Vol. 1: Theory (Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1975).Google Scholar
- H.G. Perros and E.T. Altiok, Queueing Networks with Blocking (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1989).Google Scholar
- J.W. Roberts, A service system with heterogeneous service requirements, Performance of Data Communication Systems and Their Applications (1981) 423-431.Google Scholar
- K.W. Ross, Multiservice Loss Models for Broadband Telecommunication Networks (Springer, London, 1995).Google Scholar