Clock synchronization of MPEG-2 services over packet networks
We address the problem of time-base synchronization for MPEG services in the presence of network jitter. The conventional methods to obtain a stable clock indication are based on Phase Locked Loops (PLLs). They have the disadvantage of a long startup phase and thus are unsuitable for services that require simultaneous accuracy and rapidity. We develop a new time-base synchronization technique based on a Least-square Linear Regression algorithm (LLR). We show that LLR is able to perform time-base synchronization with the same accuracy as of a PLL and with a substantial gain of rapidity. Finally, we discuss the implementation of the LLR technique as an intermediate time-base synchronization level between the network and a generic multimedia application.
KeywordsArtificial Intelligence Stochastic Process Conventional Method Probability Theory Multimedia Application
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ISO/IEC, Information technology-generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information-part 2: audio, DIS 13818–2 (1994).Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC, Information technology-generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information-part 3: video, DIS 13818–3 (1994).Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC, Information technology-generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information-part 1: systems, DIS 13818–1 (1994).Google Scholar
- R.P. Singh, S. Lee and C. Kim, Jitter and clock recovery for periodic traffic in broadband packet networks, IEEE Transactions on Communications 42 (1994) 2189–2197.Google Scholar
- B.C. Lin, R.O. Onvural, J. Lynch and P. Chimento, A reference model for modeling jitter in ATM networks, ATM Forum contrib. #94–023 (1994).Google Scholar
- S.I.A. Shah, Cell delay variation in CBR connections, ATM Forum contrib. #94–0417 (1994).Google Scholar
- G.F. Andreotti, G. Michieletto, L. Mori and A. Profumo, Clock recovery and reconstruction of PAL pictures for MPEG coded streams transported over ATM networks, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology 5 (1995) 508–514.Google Scholar
- P.V. Rangan, S.S. Kumar and S. Rajan, Continuity and synchronization in MPEG, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 14 (1996) 52–60.Google Scholar
- F.M. Gardner, Phaselock Techniques (Wiley, 1979).Google Scholar
- ITU-T SG13, B-ISDN ATM adaptation layer specification, type 1 AAL, Recommendation I.363.1.Google Scholar
- C. Roppel, Estimating cell transfer delay in ATM networks using in-service monitoring methods, in: Proc.IEEE Globecom'95 (1995).Google Scholar
- C.E. Ellingson, Dissemination of system time, IEEE Transactions on Communications 21 (1973) 605–624.Google Scholar