Dry and wet oxidation of an Si2N2O-ZrO composite material
- 54 Downloads
The oxidation behaviour of a low-cost porous Si2N2O-ZrO2 composite material, produced without the use of a sintering aid, was investigated in dry and humid air and argon, respectively, in the temperature range 800–1470°C. The extent of internal oxidation in dry air was found to be dependent on the oxidation temperature. The material exhibits excellent oxidation resistance at temperatures ≥1300°C. A very thin layer containing zirconium silicate which is formed on the internal pore walls, appears to protect the material against further oxidation. External pore sealing was not observed. Water vapour was found to enhance oxidation significantly. It was also found that a short-term oxidation treatment at high temperature protects the material from further oxidation at lower temperatures. External pore closure did not occur.
KeywordsOpen Porosity Internal Oxidation Internal Pore High Weight Gain Total Weight Gain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. HEIM, J. CHEN, R. POMPE and H. ARWIN, in “Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Ceramic Materials and Components for Engines”, edited by D. S. Yan, X. R. Fu and S. X. Shi (World Scientific, Singapore, 1995) pp. 473–76.Google Scholar
- 2.C. O'MEARA, M. HEIM and R. POMPE, J. Eur. Ceram. Soc. 15 (1995) 319.Google Scholar
- 4.M. HEIM, C. O'MEARA, J. CHEN and R. POMPE, Ceram. Engng. Sci. Proc. 17(4 and 5) (1996) in press.Google Scholar
- 5.M. HEIM, C. O'MEARA, J. CHEN, R. GATT and R. POMPE, J. Electrochem. Soc. in press.Google Scholar
- 9.J. SCHLICHTING, Ber. Dt. Keram. Ges. 56 (1979) 196.Google Scholar
- 10.Idem, ibid. 56 (1979) 256.Google Scholar
- 13.E. J. OPILA and R. E. HANN Jr, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc., submitted.Google Scholar
- 14.S. C. SINGHAL, ibid. 59 (1976) 81.Google Scholar
- 17.R. POMPE, US Pat. 438 416, SE Pat. no. 8702268-7 (1987).Google Scholar
- 18.Idem, Patent EPC Co4B 35/48, 35/58 (1988).Google Scholar
- 19.J. CHEN, M. HEIM and R. POMPE, in “Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on High Temperature Corrosion and Protection of Materials”, May 1996, Les Embiez, France, in press.Google Scholar