Microwave densification of electrophoretically infiltrated silicon carbide composite
- 111 Downloads
A new method to fabricate SiC composites by microwave heating SiC preforms is described. Preforms were produced by electrophoretically infiltrating SiC fibre (Nicalon) preforms with SiC powder. Samples were heated to 1600°C in a matter of minutes and held at temperature for 5 min to minimize fibre degradation. To achieve densification, heated preforms required the application of a uniform load. Bulk densities increased from ∼ 0.8 gcm-3 for the as-infiltrated preforms to over 1.9 gcm-3 for microwave-heated samples with a small applied load of ∼13 kPa. Microstructural analysis revealed the presence of some pores and cracks in the matrix; however, large areas of dense SiC matrix material are apparent.
KeywordsSilicon Carbide Microwave Heating Microwave Processing Silver Foil Silicon Carbide Powder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. FITZER and R. GADOW, Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 65 (1986) 326.Google Scholar
- 3.G. C. WEI and P. F. BECHER, Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 64 (1985) 298.Google Scholar
- 4.P. J. LAMICQ, G. A. BERNMHART, M. M. DAUCHIER and J. MACE, Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 65 (1986) 336.Google Scholar
- 7.T. D. GULDEN, J. L. KAAE, K. P. NORTON and L. D. THOMPSON, in “Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Chemical Vapour Deposition”, edited by K. E. Spear and G. W. Culle (The Electrochemical Society, NJ, 1990) pp. 546–52.Google Scholar
- 8.D. R. BEHRENDT and M. SINGH, NASA Tech Brief LEW-15767 (1994).Google Scholar
- 9.C. L. SCHILLING, J. P. WESSON and T. C. WILLIAMS, Ceram. Bull. 62 (1983) 912.Google Scholar
- 11.T. OHKAWA and F. H. ELSNER, US Pat. 5468 358 (1995).Google Scholar