Kefir grains were prepared in a goat-hide bag using pasteurized milk inoculated with sheep intestinal flora, followed by culture of the surface layer in milk. From the grain, 11 strains of lactic acid bacteria, non-lactic acid bacteria and yeasts were isolated and identified. Six samples of kefir were prepared by fermenting pasteurized milk for different lengths of time. Sensory evaluation identified the sample prepared by 24 h fermentation as the best product.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barnett, J.A., Payne, R.W. & Yarrow, D. 1990 Yeast characteristics and identification, 2nd edn. Cambridge: Cambridge University press.Google Scholar
- Duitschaever, C.L., Kemp, N. & Emmons, D. 1987 Pure culture formulation and procedure for the production of kefir Milchwissenschaft 42, 80-82.Google Scholar
- Garvie, E. I. 1986 Genus Leuconostoc. In Bergey's manual of Systematic Bacteriology, Vol. 2, eds Sneath. P.H.A., Mair N.S. & Sharpe, M.E. pp. 1075-1070. Baltimore, MD: Wiliams and Wilkins.Google Scholar
- Hardie, J.M. 1986 Genus Streptococcus. In Bergey's manual of Systematic Bacteriology, Vol. 2, eds Sneath, P.H.A, Mair, N.S. & Sharpe, M.E. pp. 1043-1071. Baltimore, MD: Wiliams and Wilkins.Google Scholar
- Honsono, A., Tanare, T. & Otani, H. 1990 Binding properties of lactic acid bacteria isolated from Kefir milk mutagenic amino acid pyrolyzates. Milchwissenschaft 45, 647-657.Google Scholar
- Kandler, O. & Weiss, N. 1986 Genus Lactobacillus. In Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology, Vol. 1, eds Sneath, P.H.A., Mair, N.S. & Sharpe M.E. pp. 1209-1234, Baltimore, MD: Wiliams and Wilkins.Google Scholar
- Plummer, D.T. 1989 An introduction to practical biochemistry, 3rd edn. London: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Rossi, J. & Govvetti, M. 1991 Multistarter for making Kefir by continuous process. Annali di Microbiologia and Enzimologia 4, 223-226.Google Scholar
- Sandine, W.E., Ellider, P.R. & Anderson, A.W. 1957 A simple apparatus for measurement of gas production and activity of lactic starter cultures. Milk product Journal, 48, 12-15.Google Scholar