A simple method to prepare calcium phosphate coatings on Ti6Al4V
- 133 Downloads
A two-step chemical treatment followed by immersion in a supersaturated calcification solution (SCS) was found to be a simple way to prepare calcium phosphate (Ca–P) coatings on Ti6Al4V. The Ca–P deposition on the treated metallic surfaces could be accelerated by employing a pre-calcification (Pre-Ca) procedure prior to immersion in SCS. The two-step treatment was performed by etching the metallic plates with a mixture of HCl and H2SO4 followed by ageing in boiling diluted NaOH solution at 140°C. Pre-Ca was carried out by incubating the two-step treated plates in Na2HPO4 solution and then in saturated Ca(OH)2 solution. The formation of a bioactive microporous surface oxide layer on Ti6Al4V by the two-step treatment was most probably responsible for the induction of Ca–P precipitation. The deposition rates and compositions of Ca–P coatings in two different SCSs were investigated by means of scanning electron microscopy, X-ray diffraction and infrared spectrophotometry.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. HANAWA, M. KON, H. UKAI, K. MURAKAMI, Y. MIYAMOTO and K. ASAOKA, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 34 (1997) 273.Google Scholar
- 2.J. Y. MARTIN, Z. SCHWARTZ, T. W. HUMMERT, D. M. SCHRAUB, J. SIMPSON, J. LANKFORD, JR., D. D. DEAN, D. L. COCHRAN and B. D. BOYAN, ibid. 29 (1995) 389.Google Scholar
- 3.M. BROWN, P. J. GREGSON and R. H. WEST, J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Med. 6 (1995) 849.Google Scholar
- 4.H. M. KIM, F. MIJAJI, T. KOKUBO and T. NAKAMURA, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 32 (1996) 409.Google Scholar
- 5.C. OHTSUKI, H. IIDA, S. HAYAKAWA and A. OSAKA, ibid. 35 (1997) 39.Google Scholar
- 6.P. LI, PhD thesis, Leiden University, The Netherlands (1993).Google Scholar
- 7.H. B. WEN, Q. LIU, F. Z. CUI, J. R. DE WIJN and K. DE GROOT, J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Med., submitted.Google Scholar
- 8.H. B. WEN, J. G. C. WOLKE, J. R. DE WIJN, Q. LIU, F. Z. CUI and K. DE GROOT, Biomaterials, in press.Google Scholar
- 9.J. LAUSMAA, PhD thesis, University of Göteborg, Sweden (1991).Google Scholar
- 10.K. DE GROOT, J. A. JANSEN, J. G. C. WOLKE, C. P. A. T. KLEIN and C. A. VAN BLITTERSWIJK, in “Hydroxyapatite Coatings in Orthopaedic Surgery” edited by R. G. T. Geesink and M. T. Manlay (Raven Press, New York, 1993) p. 49.Google Scholar
- 11.H. P. BOEHM, Disc. Farad. Soc. 52 (1971) 264.Google Scholar
- 12.R. Z. LEGEROS, “Calcium Phosphates in Oral Biology and Medicine” ( Karger, Basel, 1991).Google Scholar