Intergeneric hybridization between Brassica species and Crambe abyssinica
In crosses of B. napus × C. abyssinica and B. campestris × C. abyssinica, pre-fertilization incompatibility was observed. In crosses of B. juncea × C. abyssinica, pollen grains of C. abyssinica were compatible to the stigmas of all the B. juncea pistils, the pollen tube growth was normal and the pollen tube reached the micropyle in 3–4 days after pollination. Through comparative studies on embryo development in intergeneric crosses of B. juncea × C. abyssinica and self-pollination of B. juncea, the causes of the hybrid embryo abortion were found. An intergeneric hybrid between B. juncea × C. abyssinica was obtained for the first time through conventional crossing method combined with ovary culture, when C. abyssinica was used as a paternal parent. The hybridity was confirmed by morphology, cytology and isozyme analysis.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Downey, R.K., 1971. Agricultural and genetic potentials of cruciferous oilseed crops. JAOCS 48: 718-722.Google Scholar
- Li, X.F., Y, Yang, Y.P. Wang & P. Luo, 1995. Rapeseed chromosome engineering-transferring characters of Raphanus sativusL. var raphanistroidesMakino to B. napus. J of Sichuan University (Natural Science Edition) 32: 599-604.Google Scholar
- Li, Z.Y. & P. Luo, 1993. First intergeneric hybrids of Brassica napus× Orychophragmus violaceus. Oil Crops Newsl 10: 27- 29.Google Scholar
- Liu, D.F. & H.L. Liu, 1989. Heredity of erucic acid and eicosenoic acid of Brassica juncea. Hereditas (Beijing) 11: 17-20.Google Scholar
- Meng, J.L., D.F. Liu & P. Luo, 1995. Genetics of plant reproduction, pp. 296-367. Science Press, Beijing.Google Scholar
- Terasawa, Y. & N. Shimotomai, 1928. Studies on intergeneric hybrids of Brassicaand Raphanus. Sci Rep Tohoku Univ Ser 3: 827-841.Google Scholar
- Wang, Y.P.& P. Luo, 1995. Observation of agronomic characteristics and evaluation of Crambe abyssinica. Oil Crops of China 17: 16- 18.Google Scholar
- Wang, Y.P., P. Luo & X.F. Li, 1995. Preliminary study on Crambe abyssinica. Acta Botanica Yunnanica 17: 169-174.Google Scholar
- Wang, Y.P., Y. Yang, & P. Luo, 1996. Studies on pollen morphology of some species of tribe Brassiceae. Acta Botanica Yunnanica 18: 317-319.Google Scholar
- Zheng, G.C., 1979. Microtechnique of Biology, pp. 1-300. People's Education Press, Beijing.Google Scholar