The relationship between the regeneration system and genetic variability in the cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.)
- 148 Downloads
Somaclonal variation in the Borszczagowski line of Cucumis sativus L. was determined for five regeneration systems: micropropagation (MP), direct leaf callus regeneration (DLR), leaf callus regeneration (LCR), recurrent leaf callus regeneration (RLCR), and direct protoplast regeneration (DPR). The frequency at which new phenotypes appeared in R1 lines and the stability of the rDNA region analysed using of five probes were investigated. MP was not subject to change, while DLR caused only infrequent changes. The highest frequency of change arose through DPR (90% of lines) and RLCR (42.8%), as opposed to 5.9% with LCR. Tetraploids were produced only in the case of LCR (4.7%) and RLCR (28%).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burza, W., S. Malepszy & E. Rostek, 1995. An effect of simple and recurrent in vitroregeneration on cucumber inbred line under field cultivation. Horticult Sci 28 (1-2): 11-13.Google Scholar
- Charzynska, M., M. Banas, T. Wróblewski & S. Malepszy, 1995. Temporal and spatial development of the callus in cultured leaf explants of cucumber (Cucumis sativusL.). Intern. Conference Agrobiotechnology 95, Poznaòä 15-20 Sept., in: Biotechnologia (Suppl.) 4: 31.Google Scholar
- Dellaporta, S.J., J. Wood & J.B. Hicks, 1983. A plant DNA minipreparation, version two. Plant Mol Biol Rep 1: 19-21.Google Scholar
- Malepszy, S., 1988. Cucumber (Cucumis sativusL.). In: Y.P.S. Bajaj (Ed.), Biotechnology in Agriculture and Forestry, Crops II, vol. 6, pp. 277-293. Springer Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg New York.Google Scholar
- Malepszy, S., W. Burza & M. Smiech, 1996. Characterization of a cucumber (Cucumis sativusL.) somaclonal variation with paternal inheritance. J Appl Genet 37: 65-78.Google Scholar
- Malepszy, S., W. Plader & Z. Rusinowski, 1996a. New cucumber phenotypes origin after in vitroregeneration. Horticult Sci (in press).Google Scholar
- Muller, E., P.T.H. Brown, S. Hartke & H. Lorz, 1990. DNA variation in tissue-culture-derived rice plants. Theor Appl Genet 80: 637- 679.Google Scholar
- Nadolska-Orczyk, A., S. Malepszy & S. Belz, 1989. Effect of recurrent in vitroculture on somaclonal variation. XII Eucarpia Congress, Vorträge für Pflanzenzüchtung: 26-1.Google Scholar
- Pierce, L.K., 1990. Review of genes and linkage groups in cucumber. Hortscience 25 (6): 605-615.Google Scholar
- Sambrook, J., E.F. Fritsch & T. Maniatis, 1989. Molecular cloning. A laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Torres, R.A., U. Zentgraf & V. Hemleben, 1989. Species and genus specificity of the intergenic spacer (IGS) in the ribosomal RNA genes of Cucurbitaceae. Z Naturforsch 44c: 1029-1034.Google Scholar