RFLP analysis of a PCR amplified region of chloroplast DNA in eggplant and related Solanum species
- 222 Downloads
RFLP analysis of a PCR amplified 3.2-kbp region of cpDNA bounded by the conserved sequences in rbc L and ORF 106 was performed in eggplant (Solanum melongena), its related Solanum species, S. incanum, S. virginianum (= S. surattense), S. torvum, S. aethiopicum (= S. gilo), S. aethiopicum (= S. integrifolium), S. violaceum (= S. indicum), S. violaceum (= S. sanitwongsei) and S. mammosum and the reciprocal hybrids between S. aethiopicum (= S. integrifolium) and S. melongena 'Uttara'. The target region of cpDNA was amplified correctly by PCR. The amplified products were digested with each of 10 restriction enzymes (Alu I, Ase I, BamH I, Hinf I, Msp I, Rsa I, ScrF I, Sty I, Taq I and Xba I). Variations of restriction patterns among the species were recognized after digesting the amplified products with each of the seven restriction enzymes, Taq I, Alu I, Rsa I, Sty I, Ase I, Hinf I and Xba I. The restriction patterns divided the examined nine species into the following five clusters, 1) S. melongena and S. incanum, 2) S. virginianum (= S. surattense), 3) S. torvum, 4) S. aethiopicum (= S. gilo), S. aethiopicum (= S. integrifolium), S. violaceum (= S. indicum) and S. violaceum (= S. sanitwongsei) and 5) S. mammosum. The restriction pattern with Alu I in each of the reciprocal hybrids between S. melongena 'Uttara' and S. aethiopicum (= S. integrifolium) was identical with that of seed parent. The present study demonstrated the availability of the PCR-RFLP analysis of cpDNA for assessing taxonomic relationships and identifying cytoplasmic parentage of interspecific hybrids in eggplant and related Solanum species.
- Daunay, M.C., R.N. Lester & H. Laterrot, 1991. The use of wild species for the genetic improvement of brinjal egg-plant (Solanum melongena) and tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum). In: J.G. Hawkes, R.N. Lester, M. Nee & N. Estrada-R (Eds.), Solanaceae III, pp. 369-387. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Richmond (U.K.).Google Scholar
- Dubouzet, J.G., T. Etoh, K. Arisumi & T. Yoshitake, 1996. A diagnostic test to confirm interspecific Alliumhybrids using random amplified polymorphic DNA from crude leaf DNA extracts. J Jpn Soc Hort Sci 65: 321-326.Google Scholar
- Perez de la Rosa, J., S.A. Harris & A. Farjon, 1995. Noncoding chloroplast DNA variation in Mexican pines. Theor Appl Genet 91: 1101-1106.Google Scholar
- Reboud, X. & C. Zeyl, 1994. Organelle inheritance in plants. Heredity 72: 132-140.Google Scholar
- Yanai, H. & H. Takagi, 1986. The Handbook of Multivariate Analysis. Gendaisugakusha, Kyoto.Google Scholar