What ethical framework should be used as a basis for teaching business ethics? Should business ethics be taught by ethicists in a separate course, by business faculty in business courses, or perhaps by both? These are some of the issues this paper will address. The paper begins with a review of the literature concerning approaches to teaching business ethics. Next, some ethical frameworks for teaching business ethics are considered. Finally, the paper proposes that students should apply their own personal values to business ethical issues in the classroom, thus providing future business leaders with a process for resolving ethical dilemmas.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andrews, K.: 1989, 'Ethics in Practice', Harvard Business Review (September/October), 99–104.Google Scholar
- Bishop, T.: 1992, 'Integrating Business Ethics into An Undergraduate Curriculum', Journal of Business Ethics 11 (April), 291–299.Google Scholar
- Epstein, E. M.: 1989, 'Business Ethics, Corporate Good Citizenship and the Corporate Social Policy Process: A View from the United States', Journal of Business Ethics 8, 583–595.Google Scholar
- Ferrell, O. and J. Fraedrich: 1990, 'Understanding Pressures That Cause Unethical Behavior in Business', Business Insights Spring/Summer, 1–4.Google Scholar
- Grimstad, C. R.: 1964, 'Teaching the Ethics of Accountancy', The Journal of Accountancy (July), 84.Google Scholar
- Henderson, V. E.: 1988, 'Can Business Ethics Be Taught?', Management Review 77, 52–54.Google Scholar
- Landekich, S.: 1989, Corporate Codes of Conduct (National Association of Accountants, New Jersey).Google Scholar
- Levin, M.: 1989, 'Ethics Courses: Useless', The New York Times (November 20), A–21.Google Scholar
- Loeb, S.: 1991, 'The Evaluation of Outcomes of Accounting Ethics Education', Journal of Business Ethics 10 (February), 77–84.Google Scholar
- Mintz, S.: 1990, 'Ethics in the Management Accounting Curriculum', Management Accounting (June), 51–54.Google Scholar
- Parks, S.: 1986, The Critical Years: The Young Adult Search for a Faith to Live By (Harper & Row, New York).Google Scholar
- Schoenfeldt, L., D. McDonald and S. Youngblood: 1991, 'The Teaching of Business Ethics: A Survey of AACSB Member Schools', Journal of Business Ethics 10 (March), 237–241.Google Scholar