Irrigation and Salinity: a Perspective Review of the Salinity Hazards of Irrigation Development in the Arid Zone
- 636 Downloads
Irrigation development in the arid zone almost alwayshas to deal with not only secondarysalinity but also with primary and fossilsalinity. In many cases, irrigationdevelopment brings about large scalechanges in the local geohydrological regimewhich often result in mobilization of saltsstored in the underlying substrata. Thisprimary and fossil salt mobilization hasbeen found to be one of the principalcauses of rivers salinization in irrigatedbasins in the arid zone. The paperhighlights this hitherto insufficientlyrecognized salinity hazard and discussesrelated control measures and strategies.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blackmore 1995. Murray-Darling Basin Commission: A case study in intergrated catchment management. Water Science and Technology 32: 5–6.Google Scholar
- FAO 1985. Water Quality for Agriculture. Irrigation and Drainage Paper no 29 (revised). Food and Agriculture Organization, RomeGoogle Scholar
- FAO 1997. Management of Agricultural Drainage Water Quality. Water Report 13, Food and Agriculture Organization, RomeGoogle Scholar
- Ghasemi F., Jakeman A.J. & Nix H.A. 1995. Salinization of Land and Water Resources: Human Causes, Extent, Management and Case Studies. Centre for Resources and Environmental Studies, Australian National University. CAB International, Wallingford UKGoogle Scholar
- IWMI 2000. Water for Food, Water for Nature, Water for Life. Annual Report 1998 Science Program. International Water Management Institute, Colombo, Sri LankaGoogle Scholar
- Kovda V.A. 1973. Landscapes in Relation to Irrigation, Drainage and Salinity. In: Irrigation, Drainage and Salinity, an International Source Book. UNESCO/FAOGoogle Scholar
- Shiati K. 1989. The Origin and Sources of Salinity in River Basins: A regional Case Study in Southern Iran. Proceedings of the Symposium on Regional Characterization of Water Quality, Baltimore May 1989, IAHS Publication no 182.Google Scholar
- Shiati K. 1999. WorldWater Vision for Food: Country Case Study Iran. Paper presented at the MENA Consultation Meeting, May 1999, Bari, ItalyGoogle Scholar
- Smedema L.K. 1990. Natural Salinity Hazards of Irrigation Development in (Semi) Arid Regions. Symposium on Land Drainage for Salinity Control in Arid and Semi-Arid Regions, Feb/March 1990, Drainage Research Institute, Ministry of Public Works, Cairo, EgyptGoogle Scholar
- Smedema L.K. 2000. Irrigation Induced River Salinization. International Water Management Institute, Colombo, Sri LankaGoogle Scholar
- World Commission on Water in the 21th Century 2000. A Water Secure World: Vision for Water, Life and Environment. World Water Council, MarseillesGoogle Scholar