Transformation of a large number of potato varieties: genotype-dependent variation in efficiency and somaclonal variability
- 262 Downloads
Transformation of potato is a genotype dependent process as was shown by experiments conducted with 16 varieties. Not all genotypes could be transformed with a single procedure hence two different procedures were attempted for all 16 varieties in a pilot experiment. Large differences in regeneration capacity of putative transformants were observed with the two protocols. Regeneration capacity and transformation efficiency were not correlated. All varieties were transformed with the same construct, composed of a kanamycin resistance gene and an antisense gene coding for granule-bound starch synthase. This led to different percentages of plants with the desired maximum effect (i.e. amylose-free starch) ranging from less than 1 percent to 23.3 percent. It was shown that variety-dependent phenotypic variation occurred ranging from 1 to 21%. Field experiments, conducted over a number of years, using plants with different degrees of antisense effect (from no detectable effect to maximum effect) showed that most transformants would have a decreased yield and starch content as determined by specific gravity measurements. However, these negative effects can be overcome by selecting the proper transgenic plants. Molecular characterisation of transformants using PCR, showed that 90% of the analysed transgenic plants, belonging to all effect classes, contained vector DNA sequences since they contained either the NPTIII gene or the trfA gene. The other 10% of the transgenic plants had no insertion of vector DNA.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anonymus, 1997. Publicatieblad Raad voor het Kwekersrecht, 16.09.97.Google Scholar
- Belknap, W.R., D. Corsini, J.J. Pavek, G.W. Snyder & D.R. Rockhold, 1994. Field performance of transgenic potatoes. In: W.R. Belknap, M.E. Vayda & W.D. Park (Eds.), The Molecular and Cellular Biology of the Potato, pp. 233–243, 2nd edition CAB International Wallingford, Oxford, UK.Google Scholar
- El Kharbotly, A., E. Jacobsen, W.J. Stiekema & A. Pereira, 1995. Genetic localisation of transformation competence in diploid potato. Theor Appl Genet 91: 553–557.Google Scholar
- Heeres P., A.C. van Swaaij, P.M. Bruinenberg, A.G.J. Kuipers, R.G.F. Visser & E. Jacobsen, 1995. Biosafety aspects on field testing with transgenic amylose free potatoes. Proc 3rd Int Symp on the Biosafety Results of Field Tests Genetically Modified Plants andMicroorganisms. Univ. California, USA, pp. 271–282.Google Scholar
- Kuipers, A.G.J., W.J.J. Soppe, E. Jacobsen & R.G.F. Visser, 1995. Factors affecting the inhibition by antisense RNA of granule-bound starch synthase gene expression in potato. Mol Gen Genet 225: 289–296.Google Scholar
- Visser, R.G.F., 1991. Transformation of potato. In: K. Lindsey (Ed.), Plant Tissue Culture Manual, B5: pp. 1–9. Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar