Mycetoma caused by Fusarium solani with osteolytic lesions on the hand: case report
- 62 Downloads
Eumycetoma is a mycotic disease caused by saprophytic soil fungi that are usually inoculated through minor injuries. A case of mycetoma in a Brazilian farmer aged71 years is reported. This patient presented erythema and edema on the dorsal surface of the left hand with multiple crusted and cicatricial lesions. No macroscopic grains were observed. The histopathological findings showed grains consisted of numerous hyphae which stained well with Gomori-Grocott method. This material obtained by cutaneous biopsy was submitted to culture on Sabouraud’s medium and the colonies were identified as Fusarium solani. The radiological studies revealed bone osteolytic lesions and the ultrasound showed pseudocysts and fistulae at the site of this infection. The patient was treated with oral ketoconazole with a good clinical response.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Crissey JT, Lang H, Parish LC. Miscellaneous mycotic and pseudomycotic diseases. In: Crissey JT, Lang H, Parish LC, eds. Manual of medical mycology. Massachusetts: Blackwell Science, 1995: 203–225.Google Scholar
- 3.Rippon JW. Fusarium spp. In: Rippon JW, ed. Medical Mycology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Sauders Company, 1988: 732–735.Google Scholar
- 4.Zapater RC. Consideraciones sobre las micosis oculares. Rev Arg Micología 1983; 6: 31–32.Google Scholar
- 5.Luque AG, Ramos LL, Amigot SL. Onicomicosis producida por Fusarium solani. Rev Arg Micología 1989; 81: 22–24.Google Scholar
- 6.Gupta AK, Elewski BE. Nondermatophyte causes of onychomycosis and superficial mycoses. Curr Top Med Mycol 1996; 17: 87–97.Google Scholar
- 8.Shaoxi W, Ningro G, Guixia, L. A rare case of Fusarium verticillioides facial granuloma successfully treated by itraconazole. J Mycol Med 1996; 6: 88–90.Google Scholar
- 11.Luque AG, Mujica MT, D'Anna ML, Alvarez DP. Micetoma podal por Fusarium solani. Bol Micol (Valparaiso) 1991; 6: 55–57.Google Scholar
- 13.Ochoa MT, Franco L, Restrepo O, et al. Um caso de eumicetoma por Fusarium oxysporum y su tratamiento com itraconazol. Rev Soc Col Dermatol 1992; 1: 93–95.Google Scholar