Characterisation of anaerobic mixed cultures by partition in an aqueous two-phase system
- 44 Downloads
A method to characterise a dynamic microbial consortium is described. By exploiting differences in surface properties between different cells and between cells of different physiological status, it was possible to develop a partition pattern for a mixed culture under different conditions. The separation method used was partition in aqueous two-phase systems and when using a counter current extraction process one could clearly differentiate the partition profile between resting, active and overloaded biomethanation cultures.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Albertsson P-Å (1965) Thin-layer counter-current distribution. Anal. Biochem. 11: 121-125.Google Scholar
- Albertsson P-Å (1971) Partition of Cell Particles and Macromolecules. Stockholm: Almqvist & Wiksell.Google Scholar
- Bamberger S, Brooks DE, Sharp KA, van Alstine JM, Webber TJ (1985) Preparation of phase systems and measurement of their physicochemical properties. In: Walter H, Brooks DE, Fisher D, eds. Partitioning in Aqueous Two-Phase Systems: Theory, Methods, Uses and Applications to Biotechnology. Orlando, FL: Academic Press, pp. 86-130.Google Scholar
- Daffonchio D, Thaveesri J, Verstraete W (1995) Contact angle measurement and cell hydrophobicity of granular sludge from upflow anaerobic sludge bed reactor. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 61: 3676-3680.Google Scholar
- Delbès C, Moletta R, Godon J-J (2001) Bacterial and archaeal 16S rDNA and 16S rRNA dynamics during an acetate crisis in an anaerobic digestor ecosystem. FEMSMicrobiol. Ecol. 35: 19-26.Google Scholar
- Henze M, Harremoes P (1983) Anaerobic treatment of wastewater in fixed film reactors-a literature review. Water Sci. Technol. 15: 1-101.Google Scholar
- Raskin L, Poulsen LK, Noguera DR, Rittmann BE, Stahl DA (1994) Quantification of methanogenic groups in anaerobic biological reactors by oligonucleotide probe hybridization. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 60: 1241-1248.Google Scholar
- Sharp PT (1984) Cell surface 'chromatography'. Trends Biochem. Sci. 9: 374-377.Google Scholar
- van Alstine JM, Synder RS, Karr LJ, Harris JM (1985) Cell separation with counter-current chromatography and thin-layer counter-current distribution in aqueous two-phase system. J. Liq. Chromatog. 8: 2293-2313.Google Scholar
- Walter H, Larsson C (1994) Partitioning procedures and techniques: cells, organelles, and membranes. In: Walter H, Johansson G, eds. Methods in Enzymology-Aqueous Two-Phase Systems, Vol. 228. San Diego, CA: Academic Press, pp. 42-63.Google Scholar