Production of propionate by fed-batch fermentation of Propionibacterium acidipropionici using mixed feed of lactate and glucose
Propionibacterium acidipropionici was grown in a fed-batch culture, fed with glucose or lactate, or mixtures of lactate and glucose. Lactate and glucose were always simultaneously consumed. As co-substrate, glucose modified the propionate:acetate molar ratio (P/A) and increased the fraction of carbon used for biomass production. A P/A of 7.63 was obtained with a lactate:glucose molar ratio of 4; a P/A value of 1.34 was obtained with lactate alone and 1.85 with glucose alone. The fraction of carbon recovered in biomass was 0.09 for glucose, 0.12 for lactate, and 0.21 for a lactate:glucose molar ratio of 4.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blanc P, Goma G (1989) Propionic acid and biomass production using continuous ultrafiltration fermentation of whey. Biotechnol. Lett. 11: 189–194.Google Scholar
- Champagne CP, Baillargeon-Cote C, Goulet J (1989) Whey fermentation by immobilized cells of Propionibacterium shermanii. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 66: 175–184.Google Scholar
- Egli T, Lendenmann U, Snozzi M (1993) Kinetics of microbial growth with mixtures of carbon sources. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek 63: 289-298.Google Scholar
- El-Hagarawy IS, Slatter WL, Harper WJ (1957) Organic acid production of propionic acid bacteria. I. Effect of strains, pH, carbon source and intermediate fermentation products. J. Dairy Sci. 40: 579-587.Google Scholar
- Hettinga DH, Reinbold GW (1972) The propionic-acid bacteria. A review. III. Miscellaneous metabolic activities. J. Milk Food Technol. 33: 436-447.Google Scholar
- Himmi EH, Bories A, Boussaid A, Hassani L (2000) Propionic acid fermentation of glycerol and glucose by Propionibacterium acidipropionici and Propionibacterium freudenreichii spp. shermanii. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 53: 435-440.Google Scholar
- Lee IH, Fredrickson AG, Tsuchiya HM (1974) Diauxic growth of Propionibacterium shermanii. Appl. Microbiol. 28: 831-835.Google Scholar
- Lewis PV, Yang ST (1992) Propionic acid fermentation by Propionibacterium acidipropionici: effect of growth substrate. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 37: 437-442.Google Scholar
- Marcoux V, Beaulieu Y, Champagne CP, Goulet J (1992) Production of Propionibacterium freudenreichii subsp. shermanii in wheybased media. J. Ferment. Bioeng. 74: 95-99.Google Scholar
- Papoutsakis ET, Meyer CL (1985) Fermentation equations for propionic acid bacteria and production of assorted oxychemicals from various sugars. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 27: 67-80.Google Scholar
- Playne MJ (1985) Propionic and butyric acid. In M. Moo-Young (ed.), Comprehensive Biotechnology, Vol. 3. Oxford: Pergamon Press, pp. 731-759.Google Scholar
- Woskow SA, Glatz BA (1991) Propionic acid production by a propionic acid-tolerant strain of Propionibacterium acidipropionici in batch and semicontinuous fermentation. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 57: 2821-2828.Google Scholar