Pseudo-Rigid Bodies: A Geometric Lagrangian Approach
The pseudo-rigid body model is viewed within the context of continuum mechanics and elasticity theory. A Lagrangian reduction, based on variational principles, is developed for both anisotropic and isotropic pseudo-rigid bodies. For isotropic Lagrangians, the reduced equations of motion for the pseudo-rigid body are a system of two (coupled) Lax equations on so(3)×so(3) and a second-order differential equation on the set of diagonal matrices with a positive determinant. Several examples of pseudo-rigid bodies such as stretching bodies, spinning gas cloud and Riemann ellipsoids are presented.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cendra, H., Marsden, J. E. and Ratiu, T. S.: Lagrangian reduction by stages, Mem. Amer. Math. Soc. 152 (2001); [http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~marsden/].Google Scholar
- 2.Cendra, H., Marsden, J. E. and Ratiu, T. S.: Geometric mechanics, Lagrangian reduction, and nonholonomic systems, In: Mathematics Unlimited-2001 and Beyond, Springer, New York, 2001.Google Scholar
- 3.Chandrasekhar, S.: Ellipsoidal Figures of Equilibrium, Dover, New York, 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.Ciarlet, P. G.: Mathematical Elasticity, vol. 1: Three-dimensional Elasticity, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1993.Google Scholar
- 5.Cohen, H. and Muncaster, R. G.: The Theory of Pseudo-rigid Bodies, Tracts in Natural Philos. 33, Springer, New York, 1988.Google Scholar
- 6.Dyson, F. J.: Dynamics of a spinning gas cloud, J. Math. Mech. 18(1) (1968), 91-101.Google Scholar
- 7.Lewis, D. and Simo, J. C.: Nonlinear stability of rotating pseudo-rigid bodies, Proc. Royal Soc. London A 427 (1990), 281-319.Google Scholar
- 8.Gurtin, M. E.: An introduction to Continuum Mechanics, Math. Sci. Engrg. 138, Academic Press, New York, 1981.Google Scholar
- 9.Kato, T.: Perturbation Theory of Linear Operators, Springer, New York, 1980.Google Scholar
- 10.Marsden, J. E. and Hughes, T. J. R.: Mathematical Foundations of Elasticity, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, 1983.Google Scholar
- 11.Marsden, J. E. and Ratiu, T. S.: Introduction to Mechanics and Symmetry, 2nd edn, Texts in Appl. Math. 75, Springer, New York, 1999.Google Scholar
- 12.Roberts, R. M. and Sousa-Dias, M. E.: Symmetries of Riemann ellipsoids, Resenhas IME-USP 4(2) (1999), 183-221.Google Scholar