Trends in Surface Water Acidification in Europe and North America (1989–1998)
- 245 Downloads
During the last 20 years, emission reductions in Europe and North America have resulted in decreased atmospheric S-deposition of up to 50%, while N-deposition has stayed almost constant. Data from 98 ICP Waters sites were tested for trends in concentrations of major chemical components for the 10-year period 1989-1998 using the nonparametric seasonal Kendall test. The sites were grouped into regions and types for meta-analysis. All of the regions had highly significant downward trends in SO42−* concentrations. Nitrate concentrations, on the other hand, show no regional patterns of change. Concentrations of base cations declined in most regions. All regions showed tendencies of increasing DOC. The low ANC sites showed the largest rates of recovery. Neither the high NO3− or low NO3− groups of sites exhibited significant trends in NO3− concentrations. Alpine (non-forested) sites show clear and consistent signals of recovery in ANC and pH, and appropriate (relative to SO42−* trends) rates of base cation decline.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Driscoll, C. T., Likens, G. E., and Church, M. R. 1998. Water Air Soil Pollut. 105: 319–329.Google Scholar
- Hirsch, R. M., Slack, J. R., and Smith, R. A. 1982. Water Resour. Res. 18: 107–121.Google Scholar
- Kvaeven, B. Ulstein, M.J, Skjelkvåle, B.L. and Raddum, G.G. 2000. Water Air Soil Poll. This volume.Google Scholar
- Monteith, D., and Evans, C. 2000. UK Acid waters Monitoring network: 10 year report. ENSIS Publishing, London, UK.Google Scholar
- Newell, A. D. and Skjelkvåle, B. L. 1997. Water Air Soil Pollut. 93: 27–57.Google Scholar
- Skjelkvåle, B. L., Andersen, T., Halvorsen, G. A., Heegaard, E., Stoddard, J. L., and Wright, R. F. 2000. The 12–year report; Acidification of surface water in Europe and North America; trends, biological recovery and heavy metals. ICP Waters report 52/2000, Norwegian Institute for Water Research, 108 pp.Google Scholar
- Stoddard, J. L., Driscoll, C. T., Kahl, J. S., and Kellogg, J. H. 1998. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 51: 399–413.Google Scholar
- Stoddard, J. L., Jeffries, D. S., Lükewille, A., Clair, T. A., Dillon, P. J., Driscoll, C. T., Forsius, M., Johannessen, M., Kahl, J. S., Kellogg, J. H., Kemp, A., Mannio, J., Monteith, D., Murdoch, P. S., Patrick, S., Rebsdorf, A., Skjelkvåle, B. L., Stainton, M. P., Traaen, T. S., van Dam, H., Webster, K. E., Wieting, J., and Wilander, A. 1999. Nature 401: 575–578.Google Scholar
- van Belle, G. and Hughes, J. P. 1984. Water Resour. Res. 20: 127–136.Google Scholar