Comparison of Chuvashes, Maris, and Russians with Respect to Vital Statistics and Crow's Index
Genetic demographic characteristics were calculated for Chuvash and Russian inhabitants of the Republic of Chuvashia. The generation lengths were 27.09 and 26.4 years and the sibship sizes were 2.54 and 1.82 for Chuvashes and Russians, respectively. Crow's indices and their components were as follows: Im = 0.05, If = 0.31, and Itot = 0.37 for Chuvashes and Im = 0.03, If = 0.43, and Itot = 0.46 for Russians. The genetic demographic characteristics obtained were compared with those for Highland and Meadow Maris.
KeywordsDemographic Characteristic Vital Statistics Generation Length Sibship Size Russian Inhabitant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Puzyrev, V.P., Erdynieva, L.S., Kucher, A.N., and Nazarenko, L.P., Genetiko-epidemiologicheskoe issledovanie naseleniya Tuvy (Genetic-Epidemiological Studies of the Tuvinian Population), Tomsk, 1999.Google Scholar
- 2.El'chinova, G.I., Mamedova, R.A., Brusintseva, O.V., and Ginter, E.K., Comparison of Several Russian Popu-lations by Vital Statistics and Frequencies of Genes Involved in Hereditary Disorders, Genetika (Moscow), 1994, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 1558-1559.Google Scholar
- 3.Kurakov, L.P., Grigor'ev, A.V., Zheltov, N.S., and Tol-stov, L.N., Naselenie i trudovye resursy Chuvashskoi respubliki (The Population and Employment Resources of the Chuvash Republic), Cheboksary, 1992.Google Scholar
- 4.Crow, J.F., Some Possibilities for Measuring Selection Intensities in Man, Hum. Biol., 1958, vol. 30, pp. 1-13.Google Scholar
- 5.Chuvashi: sovremennye etnokul'turnye protsessy (The Chuvashes: Modern Ethnocultural Processes), Pime-nov, V.V., Ed., Moscow: Nauka, 1988.Google Scholar
- 6.Startseva, E.A., El'chinova, G.I., Rassanov, V.P., et al., Genetic-Demographic Characterization of Highland Maris, Genetika (Moscow), 1996, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 110-113.Google Scholar
- 7.Alekseeva, T.I., The Anthropological Type of the Chu-vash Population, in Kratkie soobshcheniya Instituta etnografii (Short Communications of the Institute of Ethnography), Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1955, vol. 23, pp. 93-100.Google Scholar
- 8.Kakhovskii, V.F., The Origin of the Chuvash Ethnos, Abstract of Doctoral Dissertation, Moscow, 1968.Google Scholar
- 9.Nasledstvennye bolezni v populyatsiyakh cheloveka (Hereditary Diseases in Human Populations), Ginter, E.K., Ed., Moscow: Meditsyna, 2002.Google Scholar
- 10.Ivanova, E.I., A Decrease in Women's Age at Childbirth and Its Factors in Russia, Ross. Demograf. Zh., 1998, no. 1(3), pp. 6-11.Google Scholar
- 11.Prokhorov, B., Population Health: Historical and Regional Aspects, Ross. Demograf. Zh., 1996, no. 1, pp. 63-73.Google Scholar