Out-of-plane scattering in 1-D photonic crystal slabs
We present a detailed study of out-of-plane scattering losses in a 1D approximation of 2D photonic crystal slabs. In 2D photonic crystals with a waveguide structure in the third dimension, the periodic structure (in a lot of applications a 2D arrangement of holes etched through the core and cladding) will cause light to scatter out of the waveguide plane. We studied the out-of-plane scattering losses of these holes using a 2D approximation of this 3D structure, with etched slots instead of holes. Our simulation techniques included mode expansion with PML and FDTD. We will present the influence of the refractive index contrast between core and cladding of the layered structure. We show that the losses increase with higher index contrast between core and cladding, but that with very high index contrasts and under the right circumstances light can be coupled into lossless Bloch modes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baba, T., N. Fukaya and J. Yonekura. Electron. Lett. 35 654, 1999.Google Scholar
- Bénisty, H., C. Weisbuch, D. Labilloy, M. Rattier, C.J.M. Smith, T.F. Krauss, R.M. De La Rue, R. Houdre, U. Oesterle, C. Jouanin and D. Cassagne. J. Lightwave. Technol. 17 2063, 1999.Google Scholar
- Bénisty, H., D. Labilloy, C. Weisbuch, C.J.M. Smith, T.F. Krauss, D. Cassagne, A. Béraud and C. Jouanin. Appl. Phys. Lett. 76 532, 2000.Google Scholar
- Bienstman, P., and R. Baets. Optical and Quantum Electronics 33 327, 2001.Google Scholar
- Charlton, M.D.B., G.J. Parker and M.E. Zoorob. J. Mat. Sci.-Mat. Electron 10 429, 1999.Google Scholar
- Chow, E., S.Y. Lin, S.G. Johnson, P.R. Villeneuve, J.D. Joannopoulos, J.R. Wendt, G.A. Vawter, W. Zubrzycki, H. Hou and A. Alleman. Nature 407 983, 2000.Google Scholar
- Johnson, S.G., S. Fan, P.R. Villeneuve, J.D. Joannopoulos and L.A. Kolodziejski. Phys. Rev. B 60 5751, 1999.Google Scholar
- Krauss, T.F. et al. Nature 383 699, 1996.Google Scholar
- Van den Berghe, S. Object-oriented electromagnetic simulations with the finite-difference-time-domain Method. Ph.D. thesis, Department of Information Technology, University of Ghent, 1999.Google Scholar
- Villeneuve, P.R., S. Fan, S.G. Johnson and J.D. Joannopoulos. IEE Proc. Optoelec 145 384, 1998.Google Scholar